Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Pewter ls with automatic trans. 4x2, gray cloth interior.
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm going to retackle this tomorrow and I hope it's not windy but I also got my registration notice after 2 year of ownership and I have to smog it.

Anyone have any ideas where I should probe around please feel free to chime it. I'm going to check all fuses and evap circuits.

*edit, holy crap winds from 50 to 80mph Monday and Tuesday.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update: well no update and waiting for my buddy to get his new shop location install the lifts.

I did put some gas on those windy days and I did take notice of the smell of raw fuel and seems like there could be a crack around the filler neck.

Weather is not so good as I hate the cold so I haven;t done anything yet. I did get the smog papers 2 weeks ago so got to fix the ride!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's an update: friends got their new shop setup and was able to do a smoke test for the evap leak, came to the conclusion the fuel filler neck should be replaced because of the cracks it has and it sure makes sense.

Although no smoke was found expect from the canister under the spare tire venting it, the next possibility is a leak from the fuel pump ring on top the gas tank.

As far as the p0420, they did an o2 extension and hopefully that will determine if the cat is bad. We both agree that it is bad or going bad but the extension will give the answer if the code comes back or not.

I understand there is no actual fix yet but parts are on the way.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
969 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Reactions: 2002 TB LS

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
After 4 days the P0440 Finally kicked in. The Evap monitors is completed but the code came back and It's still under assumption that it's a small leak somewhere, either the rubber on the gas filler hose or the gas tank fuel pump ring.

Already have a new hose coming in tomorrow or friday Dorman 577-379 and been reading the reviews that some people had trouble finding a gas cap to work. Well I have 2 and hope 1 or both works & I really hope that's the issue.

As far as the catalytic converter, well it needs to be replaced and I found the cheapest CARB compliant by DAVICO MANUFACTURING part # 39110. The manufacture is sold out!

Last month i found it for around $280 online but it's now sold out and prices fluctuate all they to $600 for the same part!

That $280 for the entire pipe with cat DAVICO MANUFACTURING part # 39110

Just a universal CARB legal cat it $293 Walker Exhaust CalCat Carb 83403 Universal Catalytic Converter
*Not including labor for installation maybe $100 extra?

*Edit I was just looking at my amazon order and I didnt realise it doesn't include the secondary rubber hose Genuine GM 15131046 Fuel Tank Filler Hose. SIGH>....Another $30 and now have to wait for that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Feb 20 update

after swapping out the rubber hoses on the gas filler, i still have the 0440 code. Im lost again and thinking its a leak from the fuel sending unit but idk.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I can't believe its going on 2 months and evap still not fixed. I told my buddy who own a shop to smoke test the gas tank from the canister line under the spare tire.

Hopefully we find out if the tank or the filler neck is bad. If we cannot find out the issue I will have to break down and go to the dealer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just got off the phone with summit racing and ordered the walker catalytic for $255 with tax and a price match off $229 via rockauto and I included a fender cover lol.

The part # i order is listed above on post #25

Is a California carb legal cat and I cannot wait to install it and get rid of that horrible fumes.

Far as the p0440 code, possibly this weekend I'm heading to a buddy's shop to smoke test the back half of the evap system. Also made arrangements with a deal this Monday 10am to smoke the evap and find the root cause. Gonna cost me $165 for that job..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
3.8.21 UPDATE

I had removed the rear o2 extension to once again verify the P0420 and yep it came back on and telling me the cat is bad so Getting it welded in on wednesday.

Just ordered a vapor canister ACDelco 25950499 hopefully this will confirm if the existing canister is causing the P0440 code or if it's electrical related.

We ran smoke testing from the rear of the truck and found no leak, we also tried to run an evap testing using the Snap-On tablet style computer and showed the vehicle was stuck in open loop and the vent valve was open.

also the operating temp was 175 and would not go higher. Replaced the thermostat as it was needed and having perfect temps now.

I hope this new vent valve is the fix as it is the ACDELCO and not oreillys. If this dont work, I must bow down to the dealer.....

BIG THANKS to @chem_man for all the tips and information!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
No more check engine light!! All fixed.

P0420 code:
Well these codes are not going to give specifics sadly but I had the cat swapped as mentioned and turned out the stock cat was "GUTTED" Yeah that's right Gutted out completely..

The exhaust shop told me the cat is gone and I thought he meant it was broken but nope. So I say the previous owner who is a Chevy tech had gutted the cat to flip the truck for profit. Even the muffler shop said there's no signs of tampering.

P0420 Cost: $255 for the cat plus $200 for welding it in. = $455

P0440 code: This Tuesday I decided to take it to a local shop with 5 star ratings. I wanted to know exactly what the issue is and it would cost $165. Mind you I have smog to do by the end of this month and I been trying to figure this out for 2 months now and it's been very stressful. Got the call from the shop saying the Purge Valve that is bolted next to the start is intermittent and YES that was the cause of the P0440 code.

P0440 Cost: Total cost with parts and labor is $400.16
Yes I could of ordered the valve for $40 online but if that didn't fix the problem I still have to take it back to have them Evap test scan again and cost another $165.

Total repair cost : $855.16

I love the Trailblazer and I need it. No more CEL and NO MORE STINKY EXHAUST.

Heck I even washed it in the rain.

I sound like a broken record but Thank you again @chem_man 🤝

·
Registered
969 Posts
No need to thank me, just thank the forum for the collective knowledge I shared with you!

Good Luck!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts