Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, we just bought our 2005 Envoy and we are quite happy with it. However, just a couple days after taking possession, the yellow engine light came on.

I'd like to get the code myself, and have been able to on other vehicles through a sequence of turning the ignition to on, then off several times and pushing on the accelerator...etc. The engine light would then blink a series of numbers and I can tell what the code is. I am having trouble finding the sequence for the Envoy. Anyone know how to do this?

I've seen the posts for buying a creader...but I haven't had to do that with previous vehicles (i.e. Ford Focus, Nissan Maxima).

Hopefully its just something small. I just checked th gas cap tonight, so no clue if that was the culprit.

Thanks all,

David - Canada.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
welcome to the site :tiphat
usually you can go to a local parts store and rent/borrow there code reader to access the code then you can use the search button and find everthing on the code

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Hello and welcome.:thumbsup: Unfortunately that does not work on our vehicle-you must use a scanner. :iagree: Go to the parts store and rent or have it read.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
314 Posts
Welcome to the Site TrailVoy!

Welcome to TrailVoy.Gotta Love your country ,lots of cowfolks.Welcome aboard. As for the the check engine light ,yes call around to find a auto parts that will check it for free or rent. Find code and let us help with that ,that is what this really is about helping one another.
Use the search to find out more on issue also!
Springbuck:tiphat

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello and welcome.:thumbsup: Unfortunately that does not work on our vehicle-you must use a scanner. :iagree: Go to the parts store and rent or have it read.
Thanks for the info. That sucks that we cannot extract it ourselves.

I don't think we have "Autozone" in Calgary, Canada. I'll go try NAPA this afternoon.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
:tiphatI agree it sucks that we can't check the codes like we could on the older models, but our trucks are a totally different animal! By the way, WELCOME to the site!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The light turned off yesterday...thank goodness. However, for all my fellow Canadaians, I found that Auto Value Parts stores will diagnose the engine codes at no charge.

I will post some pictures of my ride because I need some opinions. The guy I bought it from owns a Truck Accessory store so he has a lot of exterior add-ons that I think look somewhat tacky (i.e. huge brush guard, running boards...etc).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.