Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. Name's Chris. I have spent a ton of time in the garage with a friend of mine building LTX/LSX motors and modding F-bodies, so I am no stranger to cars. I just picked up a 2002 Trailblazer LS as a Daily for my wife.

I'll start with a question. Since I brought it home, I haven't had Dome lights. None of the 5 work. I found a blown TBC fuse and replaced it...still don't work. I pulled all the covers off and the bulbs appear to be fine. When I push in the Dome override button, it doesn't click or anything, it just pushes in til it stops. If i push it like 4 or 5 times it beeps at me. Either way, I've read on here to try it with the door open and closed and have tried both. Could this be a faulty switch? If so can it be replaced or does the entire Light control unit have to be replaced...or is that even the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,161 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Try checking fuse #4 or 40 in the fuse box under the back seat on the drivers' side. I am betting it is probably fuse #4. Good luck and tell us if that was the problem.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you try pushing the dome override button? It's the one next to the dimmer knob.
I said in my first post that I tried that.:cool:

Welcome to the forum. Try checking fuse #4 or 40 in the fuse box under the back seat on the drivers' side. I am betting it is probably fuse #4. Good luck and tell us if that was the problem.
#4 was actually the blown fuse. I originally Changed it out and no luck. I actually took the time to go fuse by fuse and check them all. Everything is up to par.

welcome to the site :tiphat
Thanks.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a little more searching says that i should replace the unit where the dome light override switch is. I took it out and i think it's definitely busted. Off to the junk yard tonight.

· Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
977 Posts
Welcome! :tiphat

There are a lot of great folks here with a wealth of knowledge and experience just waiting to share it. :grouphug: We all look forward to your contributions as well.

Have you checked out the Site Rules yet? The site rules can be found under the Resources drop-down menu at the top of any TrailVoy page. A link follows this paragraph. Site Rules provide guidelines for being a responsible participant in the TrailVoy community. :yes: I'm sure you will enjoy this site and it will serve you and your TV for a long time to come. :)
http://forums.trailvoy.com/view.php?pg=rules

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome! :tiphat
Thanks! I read through the rules before i made this thread. I'm a member of a few other car forums and most don't take kindly to posting outside the rules.

And related to this thread, I checked autozone and they want 92 bucks for the headlight switch. Called the dealer and they want 81. Since when is the Stealership cheaper? :weird: Scrap yard wanted 50, but I'm willing to buy brand new from the dealer. I'll update when I figure out the problem.

· Registered
5,201 Posts
Thanks! I read through the rules before i made this thread. I'm a member of a few other car forums and most don't take kindly to posting outside the rules.

And related to this thread, I checked autozone and they want 92 bucks for the headlight switch. Called the dealer and they want 81. Since when is the Stealership cheaper? :weird: Scrap yard wanted 50, but I'm willing to buy brand new from the dealer. I'll update when I figure out the problem.
Have you tried the dome override with the drivers side door open. Just a thought....I had a dumb dumb trying to turn mine on when I just got my envoy and was fiddling around.....let us know what what happens and welcome as well to the site!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Have you tried the dome override with the drivers side door open.
I sure did. Actually found a thread on here suggesting that...didn't fix the issue. It definitely doesn't click or anything when I push the button in...should it? I mean it doesn't seem like it turns off the DRL's either, so I'm leaning toward faulty switch...however, it does beep after i hit it 4 times. i'm stumped.

· Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,393 Posts
I sure did. Actually found a thread on here suggesting that...didn't fix the issue. It definitely doesn't click or anything when I push the button in...should it? I mean it doesn't seem like it turns off the DRL's either, so I'm leaning toward faulty switch...however, it does beep after i hit it 4 times. i'm stumped.
No it doesn't click, more like a touch switch. I know it's kind of weird, I don't know how it works. As far as your DRLs are concerned, if you push that same button in and out for two cycles (I think it's two, maybe three) there should be a tone emitted and your DRLs should turn off. They will reset the next time you start your truck.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so still no luck with the dome lights, but last night my wife called me while driving home and said the light at here feet (down by the pedals) was on the whole ride home. She got out, locked the truck, and i went out about 30 minutes later and it was still on. I pulled the bulb so I wouldn't drain the battery.

Anyone know if this is related to my dome light problem, or if maybe my BCM is on its way out? Will disconnecting the battery for a while reset this stuff and magically make it work again?

· Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
8,149 Posts
I don't know if the battery disconnect will help, but it only cost you time. However, it may run rough for a while after the battery is reconnected. The disconnect resets the PCM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.