Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know the identity of this injured EMT but she is from a local Station.. Please join me in pray for her recovery!

http://delawareonline.com/article/20...ONPAGECAROUSEL

A 30-year-old motorcyclist was critically injured in a crash on U.S. 13 near New Castle late Saturday, and an emergency medical technician was seriously injured when she was struck by a car while working at the crash scene, officials said.

The initial accident -- involving only the motorcycle -- happened about 10 p.m. at School Lane, in front of New Castle Airport, state police Cpl. Jeff Whitmarsh reported.

A Delaware City Fire Company ambulance stopped to assist, and while a female EMT treated the motorcycle operator, a New Castle County police officer also stopped to assist.

Another vehicle, possibly a BMW, sideswiped the police car and spun out of control, striking the 29-year-old EMT, Whitmarsh said. The motorcyclist also may have been struck by the car.

The EMT was treated by New Castle County paramedics and admitted to Christiana Hospital in serious condition, said paramedics spokesman Cpl. Peter T. Small.

Small said the motorcycle operator suffered head and chest injuries and also was admitted to Christiana.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,121 Posts
Horrible news... Prayers out to the family, friends and sqaud workers of this EMT...

May she RIP... :(

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,082 Posts
Fish the link did not work. Prayers sent I hate hearing about these things that happen to good people tring to make a difference.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
7,988 Posts
In all of the driving I do, I see more and more states adopting laws requiring drivers to move over (or at least slow down) before passing by emergency vehicles on the roadway. I can't believe how many people don't want to be bothered and find it too incovenient to follow this simple law. Even in the absence of such laws, common sense would dictate moving over or passing by with due caution. Hopefully more and more people will become educated on these laws made to protect our emergency services personnel.

My prayers are with the EMT and her family.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just updated the article.. I hope they find the Driver of the BMW and ram him with the pointed tip of a sword!

Police have identified two people injured when they were struck by a driver following a motorcycle accident on U.S. 13 near New Castle on Saturday night, and officials said they are still searching for a BMW driver who fled the scene in another car.
Advertisement

The initial accident happened when Edward Reiss, 30, of New Castle, lost control of his 2002 Harley Davidson motorcycle while riding south on U.S. 13 at School Lane, in front of New Castle Airport, about 9:50 p.m., police said.

A Delaware City emergency medical technician, Michelle Smith, 30, arrived and began to treat Reiss.

Then, a New Castle County police officer came to the scene.

The officer noticed a 2004 BMW 760 speeding in his direction and got back into his car to avoid being struck, according to state police spokesman Cpl. Jeff Whitmarsh.

The BMW then sideswiped the officer's car, Whitmarsh said, but also lost control and struck Smith and Reiss, who were both on the ground.

Whitmarsh said the BMW stopped on the shoulder of the road, but shortly after another vehicle pulled up alongside and the driver got inside it and fled the scene.

Smith and Reiss were taken to Christiana Hospital for serious injuries and are listed in stable condition, Whitmarsh said.

A 500 foot stretch of the road was closed down for four hours.

State and New Castle County police are investigating.

Contact Ira Porter at 324-2890 or [email protected]

On the local news station...http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6566462

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
36 Posts
http://www.emsresponder.com/web/online/Top-EMS-News/Delaware-EMT--Patient-Hit-at-Crash-Scene/1$8716

she died R.I.P :(

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes she did.... I heard about it this afternoon. May Michelle R.I.P. I will be going to pay my respects.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20081222/NEWS/81222025

It was later disclosed that she was not an EMT, however she was a Firefighter Driving the Ambulance that evening. This by no means she was any less important, So I shall leave you all with this...

Firefighter's Prayer

When I am called to duty, God
Wherever flames may rage
Give me strength to save some life
Whatever be its age.

Help me embrace a little child
Before it is too late
Or save an older person from
The horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert
And hear the weakest shout,
and quickly and efficiently
To put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling
And to give the best in me,
To guard my friend and neighbor
And protect their property.

And, if, according to my fate,
I have to lose my life,
Please bless, with your protecting hand,
My children and my wife.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
this depresses me....why do people continue to not watch for us while we're at a scene....come on.....drive safe...

my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,082 Posts
I just don't understand how someone could do such a thing. If they find them I think they should be driven over see how they like it. May she R.I.P

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
I pray for her and her family, while there is never a good time for something like this to happen, it is even worse for the family at this time of the year.

An interesting study was done some time ago, they found that yellow/orange code lights tend to make people drive further away from the lights. in contrast Red Blue or combination of the two tend to ATTRACT drivers. :weird:

Anyway, I hate to hear news like this....I really really have heard it too much.:hissy:

·
Registered
2008 chevy
49 Posts
UPDATE: DELAWARE CITY (DE) FF LODD-SUSPECT ARRESTED:
Deadly crash nothing new for this dirt bag....

Delaware State Police late last night identified the driver who killed FF Michelle Smith in the Line of Duty as Joseph Taye, 28, of Bear. Taye was arrested and expected to be charged with manslaughter, second-degree assault, driving on a revoked license, leaving the scene of a crash and failure to report a crash. According to Maryland court records online, Citizen Taye has a criminal record dating back to 1998, which includes charges of assault, resisting arrest, marijuana possession and traffic violations. His most recent arrest occurred in November 2007, when he was charged with failure to stop at the scene of an accident involving injuries. According to court records in Delaware, Taye was convicted May 1, 2005, of possession of a firearm by a person prohibited and resisting arrest. Taye is being held in Young Correctional Institution in lieu of $37,000 cash bail.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
49 Posts
Message Headline
Hey...
In what continues to unfold as an absolutely incredible story related to the horrific Line of Duty Death of Delaware City (DE) Firefighter Michelle Smith... the criminal circumstances only gets worse.

As you already know, the motorcycle crash occurred on Route 13 southbound on Saturday evening. The operator of the bike, Edward Reiss, was injured in the incident and was lying in the roadway. A Delaware City Fire Company ambulance (standing by to cover that area for the Wilmington manor Fire Company) arrived on the scene within minutes and DCFC FF Michelle Smith got out of the ambulance, ran over to Mr. Reiss and began to administer care. A New Castle County Police Officer then arrived on the scene and activates him emergency equipment.
Moments later, the 2004 BMW 760 traveling southbound on Route 13 entered the crash scene and sideswiped the county police car causing significant damage. The Police officer leaped back into his car just prior to the impact and avoids injury. The BMW, operated by veteran criminal Joseph Taye, 28, of Bear, loses control and strikes Smith and Reiss. The BMW comes to a stop on the right shoulder south of the crash scene.

At that point, a light colored Honda, possibly an Accord, pulls up to the crash scene. The operator of the Honda, an unidentified black male, ACTUALLY HELPS TAYE into the Honda (Taye is unable to walk himself) and the Honda subsequently flees the scene. Witnesses describe the fleeing Honda and also advised that the operator of the BMW was a black male...with an obvious physical impairment/disability.

Officers, Troopers and New Castle County Police officers, respond to the BMW registered owners address....the car was apparently not Tayes. Through outstanding police investigative practices, the name of Joseph Taye comes up. It is learned that Taye was a black male with a physical impairment. Back at the crash scene, evidence technicians process the BMW and locate a finger print which ultimately proves to be a positive match for Taye.

Tragically, yesterday, Monday, December 22nd, Ms. Smith succumbs to her injuries and is pronounced dead at Christiana Hospital. Her death is Line of Duty.

During the evening hours of December 22nd, detectives complete arrest warrants for Taye. Troopers respond to Tayes home in Bear and take him into custody without incident. Taye is arraigned on the following offenses: Manslaughter, Assault 2nd, Driving while Revoked, Leaving the Scene of a Crash and Failure to Report a Crash. Bail is set at $30,000.00 only (yeah-we know) and Mr. Taye is committed to the Howard Young Correctional Institute.

As you know, this case is still very much active. Investigators are seeking to identify the operator of the Honda that fled the scene of the crash with Taye in the car. We have no doubt that they will get Tayes "partners in crime"...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts