Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look what got delivered to the office this morning! :cool:

(1) LM487 LED flasher relay from RockAuto for $32
(2) 60-60 led (AW) SMT Stealth Ultimate Switchback from Autolumination for $60
(2) T10 Wedge Single Led Amber 194 Oval from Autolumination for $5

It took me a lil while to decide on which switchbacks I wanted, and I wasn't sure what made the "ultimate" bulbs better (read: more expensive) than the other 60 LED switchbacks they offered until I read through their lil blurb
  • Available in two styles AO and AW (see below).
  • Don't be fooled by cheap imitations. The new 60-60 led design is like have 120 leds on the bulb. Each led is a dual function integrated led that can produce either white or amber from the same led. This means that in both white and amber modes, all 60 leds are lit at the same time.
  • The new 60-60 has our exclusive patented circuitry with smart technology that allows each the intensity of each amber led to be 100% greater than with any other amber led bulb, without overdriving and damaging the leds.
When I saw that, I figured "Hey something new! Trailvoy folks like new stuff, let's get these!" :D There are 2 choices from that point, AO style, or AW style. Took a lil digging to figure out what the difference is, copied this off their site since it had animated gifs to make it easier to visualize.

Note: There are two styles of Amber-White switch back bulbs:
1. AO - Amber-Off
2. AW - Amber - White

AO - Amber-Off
The Amber -Off
(AO) Switchback bulb has special circuitry inside that senses when there is voltage on the (amber) turn signal circuit. Whenever there is voltage on the (amber) turn signal circuit, the bulb switches off power to the (white) running light circuit for 2 seconds. The result is that in most vehicles, the switch back bulb will flash amber-off-amber off whenever the turn signal is activated, even when there is power to the (white) running light circuit.

The bulb will switchback to white if the headlights are switched on and the turn signal circuit is switched off for 2 seconds.

The bulb will switchback to off if the headlights are switched off and the turn signal circuit is switched off for 2 seconds.

The result (in most vehicles) is shown in this animation with the headlights on.

AW - Amber - White
The Amber -White (AW) Switchback bulb has special circuitry inside that senses when there is voltage on the (amber) turn signal circuit. Whenever there is voltage on the (amber) turn signal circuit, the bulb switches to amber mode. The result is that in most vehicles, the switch back bulb will flash amber-white-amber-white, whenever the turn signal is activated and the headlights are on.

In some vehicles, the power to the (white) running light circuit is automatically switched off whenever the turn signal is activated. In these cases, the AW switchback will flash amber-off-amber off whenever the turn signal is activated.

In most vehicles, the AW switchback will flash amber-off-amber off whenever the turn signal is activated and the headlights/running lights are off.

The AW switch back bulb as it will operate (in most vehicles) is shown in this animation amber-white-amber with the headlights on.

Animation

:undecided So I'll be installing these after work when I get home, and try to get some daylight/after dark pics, and maybe a video of the end result.

Stupid mod bug and tax refund check... :bonk: Always getting me in trouble!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 gmc
1,518 Posts
Those should look good AND bright......can't wait for pics....when I did my switchbacks I opted for the white off when the signal is applied....so I only have amber blinking.....

Its funny how they haven't found a cure for the 'mod' bug yet :D

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is one of those cases where I wished deliveries came at the end of the day instead of in the morning. And of course all my coworkers know when I walk by with a box or padded envelope, the mod bug has bitten, and they scurry over to see what I got this time.

I was leaning towards the amber-only flash pattern too, and then I saw the animation and figured since there shouldn't be any lag time during signalling (that would look horrible) that it might look good to have 'constant' light there.

Did you have to mod your 3157's yourself, or was the nub on each side of the base already cut/ground off?

·
Registered
2006 gmc
1,518 Posts
I was leaning towards the amber-only flash pattern too, and then I saw the animation and figured since there shouldn't be any lag time during signalling (that would look horrible) that it might look good to have 'constant' light there.

Did you have to mod your 3157's yourself, or was the nub on each side of the base already cut/ground off?
There is no lag when you go to signal...there is just a a slight lag when the signal goes off and back to to white

It has been awhile since I did this mod but from what I can recall I didn't have to do anything to the bulbs... I may have to take a peak in there after work :undecided

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, mine popped right in with no problems. Kinda second guessing the cheap corner lights I got to go with them. I can see em up close when lit, but :no:

:eek:fftopic: Almost looks like my bumper ripple is gone in these shots :thumbsup:

Daytime Stock:

Daytime Switchbacks on:

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
looking good....daytime pics don't do justice....just need some night shots now....

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, 3 quick segments.

1. Hazard flashers outside of the housing (not sure why it's sometimes white, but whatever)
  2. Daytime turn signal with parking lights on
  3. Night time, lil of both.

Slightly :eek:fftopic: When I hit the keyfob at night, the switchbacks flash so brightly, I thought my HIDs turned on (even though I have a DRL killer) :weird: That's gonna take some getting used to...

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
387 Posts
Looks Great! Was wondering what do the hazards look like? Do both flash amber then white, Etc;?

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. The hazards flash the same as when you turn on the turn signals. If the parking lights are on, they flash yellow-white. When the lights are off, they flash yellow-off. I was gonna take some night pics, but figured the video would show them pretty good.

I did almost fool myself though. When I initially tested the switchbacks, I only used the hazard lights. I was expecting them to hyperflash since I hadn't done the LED Flasher relay yet, but they flashed normal speed. BUT, when I turned the key on and hit the turn signal... :eek:

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Thanks guys. The hazards flash the same as when you turn on the turn signals. If the parking lights are on, they flash yellow-white. When the lights are off, they flash yellow-off. I was gonna take some night pics, but figured the video would show them pretty good.

I did almost fool myself though. When I initially tested the switchbacks, I only used the hazard lights. I was expecting them to hyperflash since I hadn't done the LED Flasher relay yet, but they flashed normal speed. BUT, when I turned the key on and hit the turn signal... :eek:
Since you did the led flasher lm487.....how is your cruise control...it states that "Cruise control may not work because led lights are so energy efficient that they do think the brake lights work and warn you not to use cruise contol. To fix The problem use led load light eqaulizers"

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since you did the led flasher lm487.....how is your cruise control...it states that "Cruise control may not work because led lights are so energy efficient that they do think the brake lights work and warn you not to use cruise contol. To fix The problem use led load light eqaulizers"
I haven't tested them yet, probably Saturday when I head to our meet. (my commute is only 4 miles so no chance there) I remember reading in the Sticky thread, that if you have aftermarket tails with load resistors built in (I have Depo tails) that the cruise control should still be fine. There's a good bit of highway driving heading out to JimmyJam's shop, so I'll test out a few things and see if anything stops working.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Yeah....I remember reading that for the other relay with the $120 price tag...but it was on a TBSS...he did the relay and did the resistor for the brakes....and ever since he has not had a problem with cruise control..

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,289 Posts
Looking good :thumbsup:. Can't wait to see them Sat.

·
Registered
2006 gmc
1,518 Posts
Looking Very NiCE :thumbsup:

love the wildlife noises in the background in the video;)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,063 Posts
Looks good! I had a problem with the switchbacks I got from Jett, sent them back last month and am still waiting to hear back from Mike on what's going on.

Matt

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah....I remember reading that for the other relay with the $120 price tag...but it was on a TBSS...he did the relay and did the resistor for the brakes....and ever since he has not had a problem with cruise control..
:eek: Somebody paid $120 for a flasher relay? Did it have some kinda other function to it, or did they try getting it from the stealership or something? :weird:

Looking Very NiCE :thumbsup:

love the wildlife noises in the background in the video;)
Ever since we hit 80 degrees earlier this week, the birds have been a lot more active around here. Guess that means I'll have to remember to not park under some of the trees, or I'll have to start washing the TB regularly again :hissy:

Looking good :thumbsup:. Can't wait to see them Sat.
Now to turn my attention to my interior lights. Seeing your light switch module, I know I'm gonna have to redo my setup with blue to match the dome lights. I'll consider the white ones I'm doing now, just practice. :bonk:

Looks good! I had a problem with the switchbacks I got from Jett, sent them back last month and am still waiting to hear back from Mike on what's going on.
I was originally gonna order mine from Jetttstream, but he was out of stock last week. I shot him an email he said his next batch will ship out the 2nd week of March. **I am impatient when it comes to shopping so...**

1 - 20 of 41 Posts