Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to use my new Meguiars Clay Bar kit, I had never used one and honestly had never heard of it before Trailvoy.com but since it was a holiday Monday I figured I would try my hand at it. I used it on my wifes BLACK Impala SS and I have to say WOW! It is unreal the difference it makes, I only got to do the hood because it started raining and I had to go get my daughter but I was impressed to no end with just that. I will definitely be doing this on a regular basis on all my cars. I only had a few questions about the actual process.

1. Is it possible to apply too much spray detailer while using the bar?
2. Is there a certain movement I should make with the clay while doing this? (overlapping circles, straight lines?)

Just curious and thanks for the help, now I can't wait to get my new buffer!!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
Congratulations! Clay is awesome isn't it?

No. Too little though and you'll just leave bits of clay behind.

2. Is there a certain movement I should make with the clay while doing this? (overlapping circles, straight lines?)
I don't think it matters, personal preference I suppose. Conventional wisdom suggests overlapping circles like waxing so as not to miss any spots. That's how I do it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations! Clay is awesome isn't it?

No. Too little though and you'll just leave bits of clay behind.

I don't think it matters, personal preference I suppose. Conventional wisdom suggests overlapping circles like waxing so as not to miss any spots. That's how I do it.
Doc, Clay is amazing! I can't believe how smooth it makes the paint. I felt like I was doing an infomercial when I started because I only did one half of the hood to see how much difference there was and it was unreal. Thanks for the answers, didn't figure I could use too much or move in the wrong direction but it is a lot easier to ask than to scratch up my paint! Looking forward to doing both vehicles all over when I buy my Porter Cable. Thanks again

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
103 Posts
It does make a world of difference in the look and feel of the paint. I paid a friend a week ago to claybar and wax mine since i hate doing that kind of stuff and it was deffinetly worth it. Looks like a brand new vehicle now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely Detailed Image

I am definitely going with Detailed Image for my next purcahse. I have the 7424 in my cart on their site just waiting for the OK from the wife to hit checkout. Going wit the starter kit with all the pads and buffer and the whole shabang. Trying to explain to her how much nicer that black car of hers will look with this baby in the arsenal!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greg,

The support for you and Detailed Image is much deserved in my opinion. You are a great supporter of our little community here and I have been reading through a lot of the detailing posts that you have contributed to and the advice you have given to me personally and it is great to have someone with your knowledge around. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ordered my PC 7424 today!!!:woohoo: Looking forward to getting a good detailing in as soon as the weather here stops dumping water all over us. Detailed Image all the way for this one, thanks guys!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
34 Posts
you know, im glad that i fouind this thread because i was just gonna get that meguires kit. a friend of mine told me how well it works and that it was worth the money. i have a black envoy xl and it seems that i can wash it wax it and everything but still have those water spots. so im gonna try it and seen what happens. thx for all the input.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
23 Posts
i worked at a chevy dealership for four years and we used the clay bar all the time. They are great. What I found out is instead of using all of that detail spray when using the clay bar. You can use it while applying just regular car soap. So when ur washing ur truck use it then. and then afterwards use a good wax or if u dont have time just use the detail spray with a soft cloth. should save a couple bucks. and works just as good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.