Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I spent money on a store-bought mount for my TomTom, I decided to give a go with a home-brew design. I took two parts that I would otherwise never use -- the factory ashtray, and the TomTom windshield mount -- and used a little silicone to put them together. The ashtray was loose in the cup holder, so I added some electrical tape to thicken it up and make it very snug.

For a cost of nil, I'm fairly pleased with it. The angle is actually quite good because it's just a quick glance down to see, but it's out of the way and doesn't hurt my night vision. Splendid.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
good use of materials :thumbsup: looks nice and can be moved between cars

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Now I REALLY wish us Envoy owners had three cup holders up front and not just 2. Guess the wife doesn't get a cup holder any longer! ;) I have to go dig up my ashtray from the storage and make a holder for my Berry.....it serves as my phone, GPS and PDA. Have the hands free, but that doesn't help when you using it as a GPS.

Great idea, they sell iPod/Phone holders that stick into cup holder, but I never gave the idea of using the ashtray any thought.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great idea, they sell iPod/Phone holders that stick into cup holder, but I never gave the idea of using the ashtray any thought.
Yep, I was gonna buy one, but I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to construct one, myself. In the end, I saved $30 and had fun doing it. Plus, I always feel better when I built something as opposed to paying someone else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts