Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with a winch! :grouphug: XRC-8 with syn rope.

The pics are lousy right now, horrible lighting and I was super lazy :p Better pics tomorrow, promise. This is a SmittyBilt SRC meant for a '07 JK. I officially have parts meant for a jeep now :eek: Richard from Atomic Motorsports was able to finish it off with some uber strong custom mounts.

Front shot (boy, my lower rad guard/support is really banged up :cry: )

Approach angle:

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all :thumbsup:

Fortunately I don't own a scale :crackup:

The winch box stated ~90lbs w/ the steel cable mounted. With syn rope it's probably down to around 70-80ish. Bumper I'm guestimating around 120'ish (I bet the weight is on the 'net somewhere).

Front end is feeling a tad heavier. Surprisingly, I didn't loose much clearance :cool: Can't wait for some coilovers now *cough* *cough* :excited:

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'm relieved it actually worked out - and looks decent! The rope is the amsteel blue (Viking), 100ft. It's so, so nice to work with compared to the normal steel cable, beyond the weight savings, safety aspect, etc. Can't wait to try go 'play' tomorrow :grouphug

Oh, and all the goodies were purchased from 4wheelparts. They have a few local b&m locations for easy returns and had some crazy coupon deals going on that made this too tempting to pass up.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
Way Cool! :thumbsup:
I had a bumper built for mine but I haven't installed the winch yet. I'll probaly do that in October. I'm thnking of going with Superwinch. :undecided

It looks like you had some heavy impacts to your radiator skid plate. How is it holding up? I had some impacts to the radiator without the skid plate and it jammed the fan shroud into the fan, causing overheating. I've since installed the OEM skid plate, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. :eek:fftopic: Sorry.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
:hail::hail::hail: i really wanted to have this done but now i think i must lol. i have had this idea for a little while and i'm so glad to see it done. looks awesome man great job!!!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
572 Posts
love the front view man. Looks really good. Side view looks like things are a little exposed. I'd sport it in a second though! Good job!!:hail:

how come you didn't go with the boat look, you know like roadies 2 ft up and out upper rails that cover the entire truck?

yup a dbl post. Now he'll have to conserve space and edit this.:dielaugh:

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all! I still feel like a kid on Christmas morning :excited:

Actually I really like Roadie's bumper. His is nice and tucked into the vehicle. I've see some that stick out like a foot, and they feel overly bloated looking. Unfortunately, Roadie's fab guy moved on to bigger better opportunities and tracking down another quality fab person for 100% custom was looking not only pricey, but time consuming.

So, I comprised... A 'cheap' bumper ($320), tons of homework and crawling around my friends JK and plenty of luck. I essentially have JK bumper horns welded on my truck now, so many other options out there now :raspberry

The best thing about buying new parts.... accessorizing them!!! :hahano: :rolleyes:

Mounts and closeups:

'New' JK frame horn which uses the 'stock' bumper mounts (note, there are two additional bolts hidden below, total of 4 per side:

Extra grade 8 hardware attaching the lower section, one per corner.

Side view. Width wise it fits very nicely, doesn't stick out past the vehicle side (great for parking and tight area's):

:woohoo:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
237 Posts
Man that bumper won´t go out of my head.. I have looked daily to those pictures. Did you have any plans on protecting the radiator a bit more?
Is that picture viewed from above with the left side facing to the front (meaning the right side facing to the radiator and the upper side of the picture facing to the winch)?

And did you have any pictures from the installation?
Karsten

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man that bumper won´t go out of my head.. I have looked daily to those pictures. Did you have any plans on protecting the radiator a bit more?
Is that picture viewed from above with the left side facing to the front (meaning the right side facing to the radiator and the upper side of the picture facing to the winch)?

And did you have any pictures from the installation?
Karsten
:grouphug:

I plan on making a rock shield (non load bearing) for the time being. It will go from the lower end of the bumper at an angle underneath the radiator bashplate (essentially leaving the bashplate in place). It will then turn 90 deg vertical to leverage the bashplate bolts on the back side. This will be a multi-layered carbon fiber/kevlar (5 CF / 4kev) piece hand made by me :woot: I'm not sure how badly it will affect the airflow though, will need some good sized holes like the bumper already has :undecided

As for the pic.. That is a top down view of the inner most bolts on the left front side. There are two more bolts on that bracket which would be further to the outside of the vehicle.

Here's a diagram of a typical JK frame horns, that might help a bit. The bolts in the picture above would be a vertical shot at the left side inner most set of frame bolts.

Sorry, no pics of it being installed. Damn day job keeps getting in the way :bonk:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Ooooh. I'm not worthy to wheel with that now. :hail:

You build it too well, you'll have to join one of those Jeep clubs. :nono:

One idea - either tighten the d-ring bolts with tools, or retain them somehow with tywraps. You remember I left one of mine behind at Observation Point on the Rubicon when it fell off unobserved.

I'm contemplating the radiator skid plate problem as well. I've jammed mine to stop the fan now two times in five years. Alek has the best fix for that so far - which is two reinforcing tubes at an angle from the skid plate down to the front crossmember. The skid plate makes that problem worse because it hangs down, but breaking the bottom end cap of the radiator is worse, so I need to leave the skid plate on. More thinking while laying on my back under the vehicle seems in order.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.