Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming up on the 50k interval (3rd fluid change) and Firestone and Grease Monkey both offer a transmission fluid flush and then for an upgrade ($60) they'll do the filter as well. They both told me that since I already changed the filter at least once, I no longer need to do it and the flush will replace all the fluid and the shavings and any other gunk. Is this true or are they just being lazy and not wanting to take the extra time to do the filter as well?

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
If you have ever dropped a transmission pan to change the filter and fluid you would see that the first change shows the most wear metals in the filter and on the magnet in the pan. I am old school and drop the pan, change the filter and replace 1/3 to 2/5 of the fluid every 25,000 miles or so rather than "flushing" the unit. The amount of maintenance you have done to your tranny is more than most people do in the entire lifetime of their vehicle so I wouldn't worry about replacing the filter again for awhile :)

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
714 Posts
thats why I do not take any of my vehicles to those type of places, half of the time they don't know what they are talking about and end up with something screwed up.. I also am old school I normally like to drop the pan and replace it while I'm in there, however I never really flush the lines out, if you maintain it at or around the 30K mark you s houldn't have to flush out the lines..

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
I'm coming up on the 50k interval (3rd fluid change) and Firestone and Grease Monkey both offer a transmission fluid flush
And I will bet the "flush" they are talking about is a reverse flush that pushes all that crap in the filter back through the transmission. I wouldn't let any one come near my truck with one of those reverse flush machines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts