Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I needed to take an inch off the rear bottom of my wheel well opening due to the bigger tires, wider stance, and no body lift. Been searching for a year or more for decent fender flares - none on the market wider than an inch or so. I really wanted two inches. Noticed a rubber bolt-on product called Flexy-flares that comes in four styles, about $80 from Autobarn for enough to do all four openings. Cut the fender today and installed the front flares and they're not bad. I thought they would be 2-3 times as lame as they are, and I might keep them on for a while.

Flexy-flare 52-170

Cut complete

Rubber installed

Warning: DO NOT VIEW THIS VIDEO if you are squeamish about cutting into your truck, scratching it in any way, or otherwise are just a mall-cruiser with a museum piece of a pampered poof-baby poodle of a vehicle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Hhi_CvZH4

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
421 Posts
Not half bad. I would think as mechanical as you are, you should be able to make your own fender flares. Do a template out of cardboard or something, then start to cut and bend the aluminum or whatever you want to use.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to spend money instead of time on this quickie mod, and it even proves out the possibility of putting 34's on these rims and not hitting the upper control arm, with a little more fender cutting. I'm still not enthusiastic about a body lift, and I'm actually not seriously considering 34's, so I'll just wheel the snot out of these for a couple of years and then decide what to do next. Planning to go back to the Elliot Mine area on Sunday, where a couple of my videos were shot, to see how the new tires do in a place I've been to before.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
714 Posts
thats a nice get up you got there, I'm really impressed. not that I didn't doubt you or anything.. I liked the way it turned out.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
396 Posts
Thats about the same amount of material I cut off my wheelwells . But mine was done at a bodyshop for like $30 with a air tool/wheel , nice clean cut .

Your flares look pretty good and will do the job .

·
Registered
2007 chevy
53 Posts
Whoa!

Holy Crap Roadie! You've gone hard core on the Voy! :woot: How's the road noise with that aggressive of a tire? I guess it doesn't matter when you are never on the ROAD :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was avoiding M/T tires precisely because I can hear what they sound like next to me on pick-em-up trucks, but this tread design was new for 2007, and claimed to be computer designed for low noise, and it was true. I can hear it to be sure, but less than half as loud as I was worried about, and you can still easily have a conversation with the passenger without shouting at 70 MPH. And they stick like glue to the rocks.

My vision of the truck was always hard-core. My offroad driving and judgement skills needed to catch up with a couple of years on the Silent Armors. I still have lots of places to show you if you want to ride shotgun some weekend. Where we went around the Ramona reservoir all burned, though.

·
Banned
371 Posts
HOT DAMN! Roadie, I once again bow down :hail: :hail:- truck is lookin' great!

Sorry I can't make it up this weekend, planning to head to Baja to watch the races (Baja 1000). But, we really need to wheel one of these weekends, maybe right after Thanksgiving?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, you had MT tires on black rims before I did. I copied your look.

You still have this unhealthy fascination with Mexico. I thought the Border Patrol was going to stop and interview ME when I was at the fence and discover I knew you, and you're already in their data base TWICE (maybe more by now!)

Anyway, I'm still not setting foot over the border, but I just had to poke one body part over while I was close. Nooooooo, not my hootus! This:

·
Registered
2007 gmc
1,244 Posts
:thumbsup:

sweet the voy's coming along really nice! nice innovation with the flares.. can't wait to see what it'd look like with a bodylift (if u ever decide on getting one)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope. No need for a body lift. 32" tires are as far as I'm going to stress the drivetrain, I already go on trails that pucker my butt, and there are a dozen mods I want to do first that are functional. At this point a body lift would not add any more functionality, so I'd be in a position of having to mock MYSELF if I put one in. :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey Roadie, I thought a body lift is practically mandatory at your age. Well, the body lifts that come in little blue pills! :eek::p:eek:;):raspberry

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being trailvoy, we would call that a "Hootus Hoist", and no, I am not yet seeking any pharmaceutical as a sponsor. :cool: :raspberry

Unlike those wussies in NASCAR.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Roadie, about how far out does your setup reach? You mentioned you installed the 52-170, 2 1/4" wide - 58, is it actually 2.25" out from the vehicle or are they curved some?

Due to a recent fix-it ticket, I'm going to be adding some flares (damn coppers :duh: ). I noticed the 52-171 model are a tad wider, 4 1/2". Since my tires stick out a tad more than yours, I'm probably going to try these.

Thoughts?

:EDIT: Hmm, the 171 model don't mount on the side like the 170's, but instead require a lip/flange as we have stock. Not sure this would work to well as I still need to trim some. Hmmm..

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, man. They probably targeted you because they couldn't harass you for the ugly no-bumper look in the front. What neighborhood was this in anyway? Not TJ, I guess, or you'd still be there and I'd be bringing money to bail you out. :cry:

Anyway, the 52-170 only stick out 2". I need to re-attach mine with some better sheet metal screws I found with integral neoprene washers. I think I have 100 so I'll have some extra. All other versions of Flexi Flares don't have the same cross-section as the 52-170, and depend on a residual lip being present on the fender to attach them.

To make that work on yours you might have to bend tabs inward from the cut part of your fenders, or do a bunch of pop-riveting to get some tabs there. I can't think of a quick way.

Did you do any research on what it will take to clear the violation? Do they need a flare to cover it as seen from straight above? What of the tire can be visible from the front? Does it have to extend out over the sidewall or just the tread? What about the edge rock crawling lugs?

You sure do attract the attention of the authorities, eh? :cool:

EDIT: As an alternative, you can remove your fenders, bring them to Glassworks Unlimited in Huntington Beach and get them cloned in fiberglass with any amount of flare and opening enlargement you need, like the prerunners. I think they only quoted me $500 a pair a couple of years ago.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Yea, it was pretty lame, pulled over at 7:30am when taking the pup for a walk and to check out the surf. Ticket states: 'Mud flaps required', what a joke.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27600.htm

That is the code/section which states flaps need to be as wide as the tire. I'll prob just go with the 171's and take em off after I get the ticket fixed, if I really don't like em :ugh:

Such petty stuff..

·
Registered
396 Posts
I got that same fix it ticket when I had an 84 longbed chevy pickup on 39" Mickey Ts . I had to put on the flares and mudflaps to get the ticket cleared . From what I remember the flare must extend to cover the tread of the tire(the part that hits the ground) kind of a grey area with these new tires with side nobbies .
I got my ticket cause I was spraying tons of water off my big tires on a cop driving behind me in the rain . I hate being stopped for petty sh*t like this .

JamesDub

1 - 20 of 32 Posts