Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was driving to work on the interstate when my reduced power and service engine soon lights came on. At that time I also had no accelerator power. I managed to get over and off the road without issue. I had the Tblazer towed home to a local garage where my dad works. They put it on the computer and got codes for the accelerator pedal sensor. We replaced that and the lights went off.

When I test drove it the cooling fan came on with a roar and it sounded like a jet engine going down the road. (I replaced the blower fan last year.) It sat for about 25 minutes and I started it again and everything ran fine. It then set for another hour and both lights were back on with reduced engine power. It now will intermittently have one, both, or none of these issues and we cannot seem to figure out what the problem is. Any ideas?

Thanks. I am at the end of my rope here.:mad:

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Does the fan stay locked up when it is at normal warm idle? Have you disconnected the battery for 20 minutes when you did the APS?

Was the fan clutch the newest part number from a reputable place?

Did you do anything that may have contributed to the situation before it all started?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fan clutch was new from a GM dealership

last summer. I have not tried cycling the battery. Going to try that tomorrow. And when the fan is acting up it runs like a jet engine, but my dad drove it about 10-15 miles today and it was fine. I think it might be the 5v reference wire because we are getting P1635 code. I saw an earlier post where someone here was having the same problem and he found a wire that was rubbed through. When he patched it the problem went away. The problem is we have already checked every darn wire we could find and found nothing.

I have already replaced the accelerator pedal and it didn't fix the problem. I don't want to keep putting things on it like throttle body or PCM until I can isolate the exact problem.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
I think it might be the 5v reference wire because we are getting P1635 code. I saw an earlier post where someone here was having the same problem and he found a wire that was rubbed through. When he patched it the problem went away. The problem is we have already checked every darn wire we could find and found nothing.

I have already replaced the accelerator pedal and it didn't fix the problem. I don't want to keep putting things on it like throttle body or PCM until I can isolate the exact problem.
Good place to start with that wiring harness as it appears to happen often. The PCM and throttle body are long shots at best although the sensor on the throttle body has been an issue :undecided

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Help

Yeah man, this electrical crap is a P.I.T.A. I would definitely try cycling the battery; sometimes the entire system needs to be reset after you make a replacement. Also, you could have another component in the process of going bad that is affecting things not directly related. Ex: I got lucky yesterday replacing the HDM relay, and it fixed the issue of no DRLs/Low beams. But while it was messed up the ABS and brake lights were going on and off as well. Perhaps not coincidentally, the ck engine light was on for about three days, then went off, about a month ago. I'll bet that one relay was starting to go bad then. Yours could be a similar scenario and relatively easy to fix; it's just narrowing the damn thing down. Good Luck.:m2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts