Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of some help, I was wondering is it necessary to remove the fan shroud first before pulling the fan clutch/ fan assembly out? Also if so what is the best way to remove the shroud.

thanks in advance for the help,

Dan

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Simple, but some coolant will leak. Remove the upper radiator hose. Remove two screws holding the fan shroud at the top. Unscrew the fan clutch nut using whatever method you've read about (special tool to hold pulley or home made one plus large crescent wrench on the nut.) Unplug harness. Remove both shroud and fan clutch together.

I've been lucky to be able to use an easier nut-removal method of just hammering sharply on a crescent wrench, and the inertia of the pulley and friction of the belt is enough to hold them solidly for an instant. Then I put a dab of anti-sieze on the threads, and now the fan clutch comes out easily if I want to work behind the radiator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.. so is the shroud attached to the fan assembly, I noticed a lot of people say to pull it out together or would it be best to remove the shroud first to get it out of the way?

-Dan

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
They are not attached, but the fan clutch and fan is interlocked to the shroud in a way that make it almost impossible to remove separately. As soon as you attempt to do it, it will be instantly obvious.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
517 Posts
Check with your friends and learn some new cuss words. The first time would make Billy Graham cuss.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again everyone, I changed it out last night. Definately was a nightmare. Worst part of it was that once I got everything in I went to connect the wire harness together and it would not go together. It was the Dorman clutch from Rock Auto. So I got to do it all over again, took it all out and swapped the harness from the OEM behr unit onto the Dorman and then put it all back in and was good to go. Total time: 6 long and very painful hours.

thanks,

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts