Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Trailblazer Ext V6. A couple of weeks ago when I cranked the truck there was a terrible squeaking noise from under the hood. The noise continues during acceleration with no change in sound. A really loud squeak. This continued for 2 weeks until yesterday when along with the squeaking there is a terrible clunking sound as well. Sounds like something is going to fall out. No kidding. When looking under the hood and listening for the source of the sound I noticed that the fan is very wobbily. Any suggestions on what this could be? I don't want to just start trying to replace everything in that area. I am not a mechanically inclined! LOL Please help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Yes, scary noises are nothing to put off investigating, no matter what your mechanical inclination. At this point it isn't really safe to drive, since the water pump can give out and shred the serpentine belt and then the belt can damage other pulleys and cause a bigger mess. You need a trustworthy independent mechanic to do the work if you're not able to spend a week learning the ropes.

An aftermarket water pump should be well under $100. 2-3 hours labor, but for that I'd be guessing?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
Check to see if the bolts holding to fan on are loose, either way a loose or wobbly fan blade is NOT good and may leave you stranded at a most inopportune time! Good luck

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Yes, and if it breaks, and a fragment punctures the radiator, that costs more than the water pump. I've had them fail on other vehicles, and sometimes they pump OK even with a wobbly bearing. Sometimes the impeller goes bad before the bearing and they lose functionality first.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
8 Posts
:thumbsup:Cool deal! You should buy your neighbor a steak dinner, or at least a 12-pack! Ha, Ha!

For sure, since I payed around $360 to have mine replaced!

I had a wobbly fan that blew the water pump. After replacing it, the fan still wobbled so I had to buy another one and then pay to have it put on (they did give me a break on the price). Total after all said and done was around $700:suicide:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.