Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2002 trailblazer ls 4.2l i6, I’ve just recently replaced the radiator,fan clutch, water pump, battery, alternator, and air intake is next. Now my issue is I have the same general problem most people have with their fans being really loud sounding like a jet engine or possibly a semi accelerating. Now I’ve been suggested to replace all the parts I’ve replaced. And it hasn’t changed anything. Instead of the fan pushing at high speed and sound at all times, now that I’ve replaced the parts, the fan speed/sound raises and drops with the rpms. Now what options do I have to try and figure this out?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
311 Posts
If I may ask, what brand did you replace the fan clutch with? Many aftermarket fan clutches are junk straight out of the box. Hopefully that is not the issue, but...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
----> "Instead of the fan pushing at high speed and sound at all times, "

Fans don't push - is this your problem?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Words mean things.

In medicine and mechanics, words are the only way you can describe a problem.

Do you tell your doctor "It hurts and I'm not gonna tell you where"? But you see, there's a difference ---- doctors can bury their mistakes - mechanics' problems come back on tow trucks.
Learn to communicate.​

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I may ask, what brand did you replace the fan clutch with? Many aftermarket fan clutches are junk straight out of the box. Hopefully that is not the issue, but...
I’m not sure exactly what brand but it was on the slightly cheaper end through advanced auto.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,057 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
311 Posts
I’m not sure exactly what brand but it was on the slightly cheaper end through advanced auto.
This raises a red flag for me. Pretty much any no-name electrical part from Advance (there is no 'D' on the end) Auto can be considered junk right out of the box.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,040 Posts
I wonder if Devrice97 purchased a Dorman fan clutch since it appears to be the "slightly cheaper" one.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
So I have a 2002 trailblazer ls 4.2l i6, I’ve just recently replaced the radiator,fan clutch, water pump, battery, alternator, and air intake is next. Now my issue is I have the same general problem most people have with their fans being really loud sounding like a jet engine or possibly a semi accelerating. Now I’ve been suggested to replace all the parts I’ve replaced. And it hasn’t changed anything. Instead of the fan pushing at high speed and sound at all times, now that I’ve replaced the parts, the fan speed/sound raises and drops with the rpms. Now what options do I have to try and figure this out?
After market parts are an issue.
1 disconnect your battery for a half hour. This should erase/ reset the adaptive memory. Since the fan wasn't working sometimes the pcm ramps up the fan since it couldn't make your old fan spin fast enough. Quite often this will correct itself in a week or so.
2 take it back and get a gm or behr (makes the gm product). You still need to clear the adaptive memory

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Trailblazer and a Chevrolet dealer replace my fan clutch and it still sounds like a jet engine. That has been about 3 years and was told that is the way it is. I hate it. I bought a new car and kept the TB for my junk car.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. These vehicles are getting too long in the tooth to be stressing the plastic parts in the controllers for the HVAC.

Just pull the ECM fuse(s) and crash the computer that way.

Anyone who says to disconnect the battery is giving bad advice.

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS
40 Posts
VERY CAREFULLY inspect the plug at the end of the cord coming from the fan where it plugs in at the radiator shroud.
Use a flashlight, camera - whatever it takes.
From personal experience I can attest it is too easy to smash one or more of the pins which will cause the problem you describe.
Make certain none are missing, i.e. each female should have a corresponding male - there are no blanks.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
29 Posts
I had similar issue. Mine was fixed by having the dealer update the ECM. There was a specific TSB related to replacement fan clutches requiring the EMC update. The dealer will charge you for this though .

·
Registered
34 Posts
It’s the fan clutch, you replaced you said. It’s stuck. It’s normal to be high at first. Then after a few miles then it should go down. If it does not. You need to return it and get another.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had similar issue. Mine was fixed by having the dealer update the ECM. There was a specific TSB related to replacement fan clutches requiring the EMC update. The dealer will charge you for this though .
These trailblazers bite..a whole website devoted to how bad they bite

·
Registered
96 Posts
Words mean things.

In medicine and mechanics, words are the only way you can describe a problem.

Do you tell your doctor "It hurts and I'm not gonna tell you where"? But you see, there's a difference ---- doctors can bury their mistakes - mechanics' problems come back on tow trucks.
Learn to communicate.​
LOL, if a Dr makes a mistake with patient it is in his/her power to bury it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts