Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fan clutch finally stuck ON Christmas eve. 123K miles. Temp here in west Michigan was just above freezing @34 F. Started only 1/4 mile after leaving evening services. Temp today was higher 45 F and jet whoosh sound quit after a few miles. Shut off engine for 1/2 hour. Loud sound returned on restart and around town driving. Quit again during a 25 mile afternoon rural drive and was quiet at lower speeds as well. Again engine was shut off for approx. 1.5 hours. Restart and return 25 mile trip after sunset (a little colder) loud whoosh returned and this time did not go away. Found and ordered the better deal you guys mentioned for a new OEM fan clutch on ebay. But , now after reading about AIR pump symtoms in colder weather beginning to wonder if this is related. Like if I had AIR pump problems would that also trigger a fan clutch symptom?:confused:

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
771 Posts
Do you feel a loss of power when accelerating ? in a day or two you will get the check engine light. You can disconnect the plug on the radiator shroud, that should tell you if it's the fan clutch.

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
771 Posts
Well it's doesn't seem to me it's the fan clutch, when mine went out,
the sound was like a jet engine thrust in reverse and it felt as my transmission was shot (no Pull)
I saw the thread about the air pump but have no idea if my truck has one or where it's located.
Someone else will chime in soon. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my only experience with an air pump was a belt driven unit on a '72 Vega. And that was more like pulses of air with a bit of a clattering sort of sound. Not like the power robbing loud jet whoosh I'm having now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
don't recall any "ticking" sound per se. New fan clutch arrived today shipped overnight via fed ex. Looking for a bit of warmer weather to do the install. Of course by then, if this is weather related, the problem may be gone. again our local temps have lately been fluctuating around the freezing point and currently is 31F and snowing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Fixed!!

:thumbsup:Installed new part# clutch and she's running good and quiet now! Problems is gone! Very happy camper. Installation was not as hard as I had thought. Only difficult thing was using the right tools. Our local major auto parts stores neither sells or rents the right fan clutch tool set for the trailblazer. They have a lot for Fords though. You need a thin 32mm wrench and the right wrench to hold and keep the water pump from turning. I got by with a jury rigged pipe wrench setup and with the use of a long 1/2" breaker bar. Good luck. Proper wrenches are availble on ebay. The 32mm set for BMW also seems to work. And, inspite of what the Haynes book says you do not need to pull the transmission lines from the radiator. Just gently pop them off of the plastic clip on the shroud and you'll find there is plenty of room to get the shroud plus fan out without making a mess. (I know, I made one)

Got clutch for a real reasonable price from this guy > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FAN-CLUTCH-GM-PART-25790869_W0QQitemZ270201355581QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33600QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
76 Posts
So exactly what is the mode of failure of these clutches? I bought mine used...but the dealer print out of all repairs (previous owner was "all dealer" for maint.) said it got a new fan clutch at some point like 38.000 miles.

I could also see where they contacted the radiator fins a little bit when getting the thing out. I might pull it all out again and check the radiator better as its hard to see it at all with the fan installed. Maybe comb the fins in the spots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fixed!!

:thumbsup:Installed new part# clutch and she's running good and quiet now! Problems is gone! Very happy camper. Installation was not as hard as I had thought. Only difficult thing was using the right tools. Our local major auto parts stores neither sells or rents the right fan clutch tool set for the trailblazer. They have a lot for Fords though. You need a thin 32mm wrench and the right wrench to hold and keep the water pump from turning. I got by with a jury rigged pipe wrench setup and with the use of a long 1/2" breaker bar. Good luck. Proper wrenches are availble on ebay. The 32mm set for BMW also seems to work. And, inspite of what the Haynes book says you do not need to pull the transmission lines from the radiator. Just gently pop them off of the plastic clip on the shroud and you'll find there is plenty of room to get the shroud plus fan out without making a mess. (I know, I made one)

Got clutch for a real reasonable price from this guy > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FAN-CLUTCH-GM-PART-25790869_W0QQitemZ270201355581QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33600QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hi, I'm in the market for a new fan clutch and this link isn't working.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts