Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so yes this is a fan clutch post, and yes mine crapped out like the rest inevitably do. I made it about 80k before it did though, luckier than some I suppose. My issue is, I hear everyone here talking about software upgrades/flashing/updates that should/can be done when replacing or experiencing issues. Well, today I am supposed to be picking up my TB from the dealer and when I told them that the fan clutch needed to be replaced I mentioned such an update and rather it would be necessary. The tech didnt seem to know what I was talking about and just said that if it was needed he was sure they could do that too. Any details on this "update" of the software? And yes, this is a chevy dealerships service center... I would think they have seen enough of this issue to know what im talking about either way? :undecided

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Just tell him to look for all the TSBs regarding the fan clutch. If you have never been reflashed at the dealer, there will be lots of little improvements they've made over the years. Like updating your home computer's operating system - lots of changes, most of them non-mandatory or critical, but if it's in the shop anyway they should bring you totally up to date for only one reflash charge. Some of the updates concern the transmission, cruise control operation, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks roadie. I will be sure to mention it in the morning. Might as well give them something to do since I have been delayed AGAIN because the parts they still need did not arrive today. UGH! They "might" show up tomorrow but not sure when. I have had to call and check up since Friday, and originally they thought it would only take a day and I was supposed to have it back last Wednesday! :laugh:

·
Registered
67 Posts
The "tech" you were talking to is not a tech. He is a service advisor. It's rare to actually talk to a tech at the dealership. That being said some advisors are technically knowledgeable, and are good with people, and some are just good with people.:) Do not worry about the update. Your original fan clutch is being updated to the new(er) design and requires a software update. I'm sure it's being taken care of.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Your original fan clutch is being updated to the new(er) design and requires a software update. I'm sure it's being taken care of.
I replaced my own fan clutch on my 03 Envoy last summer at about 145k. I did not do any do any software update, and it was not a problem. It seemed to work fine.

Yes, maybe there were some tweaks to the software that could have been done, but my "performance" was fine without any software upgrade.

So, what that says to me is that I would not be "sure it's being taken care of." Maybe it will be, and maybe it won't be. Odds are that it will be because it is a simple procedure for which the dealer can charge a good buck, i.e. a high profit item. But it seems best to leave nothing to chance and ask the dealer to make sure the reprogramming is done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Let me try again. You CAN install the updated fan clutch without updating the pcm. You CAN. However, the likelihood of a comeback is too high for a professional to risk not doing so. If a customer returns with a problem relating to the fan clutch when the dealer has replaced it recently, the tech will likely have to do the pcm update for free. He may even be written up for the come back.

In summary... If your dealer did not do the update, you need to find out why. If your car has the updated software already, then pat them on the back. If it doesn't, you need to find a new dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts