Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my fan wouldn't disengage after start up. No Codes though! Had to drive it that way for awhile until I got home.
So I replaced the PITA clutch and it now stays engaged for about 2-3 minutes after start up then disengages. All good right? Not.
Now the check engine light is on and I get Codes P1481 and P1482. What gives here since all works well.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
579 Posts
Today my fan wouldn't disengage after start up. No Codes though! Had to drive it that way for awhile until I got home.
So I replaced the PITA clutch and it now stays engaged for about 2-3 minutes after start up then disengages. All good right? Not.
Now the check engine light is on and I get Codes P1481 and P1482. What gives here since all works well.
hi,

first place I would start is the fan clutch wiring harness, check for cracks in wiring and corrosion. maybe a faulty fan clutch that you installed.

please let us know what you find

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi,

first place I would start is the fan clutch wiring harness, check for cracks in wiring and corrosion. maybe a faulty fan clutch that you installed.

please let us know what you find
Well can't do much here today because it's raining like the ****ens.
But it works now, at least like I think it's supposed to anyway. When I start up it engages for a minute or two if cold or hot then disengages. Before it was engaged all the time with no codes, go figure.:crazy:

·
Registered
39 Posts
i replaced mine with an inexpensive one and it did not release initially but ended up working fine--this was a note on the web page i bought it from:

NOTE:
ATTENTION PLEASE! During the initial engine start up, the Fan Clutch is likely to be engaged and will match engine speed for about one to two minutes depending on engine speeds. This initial engagement will produce a loud fan noise level. This is a normal characteristic of the Electro-Viscous Fan Clutch. The noise level will be reduced once the Fan Clutch goes into a freewheeling mode of operation as commanded by the ECM.
PLEASE DO NOT RETURN the fan clutch for noisy operation unless there is a trouble code fault associated with the Fan Clutch operation or its function.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i replaced mine with an inexpensive one and it did not release initially but ended up working fine--this was a note on the web page i bought it from:

NOTE:
ATTENTION PLEASE! During the initial engine start up, the Fan Clutch is likely to be engaged and will match engine speed for about one to two minutes depending on engine speeds. This initial engagement will produce a loud fan noise level. This is a normal characteristic of the Electro-Viscous Fan Clutch. The noise level will be reduced once the Fan Clutch goes into a freewheeling mode of operation as commanded by the ECM.
PLEASE DO NOT RETURN the fan clutch for noisy operation unless there is a trouble code fault associated with the Fan Clutch operation or its function.
This thing was just a PITA to change!!!!!!!!!
I will partially remove it and change out the harness from the old one to see if codes go away. All the connections that I can see look good! Even this morning it ran just as described in your note.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
579 Posts
This thing was just a PITA to change!!!!!!!!!
I will partially remove it and change out the harness from the old one to see if codes go away. All the connections that I can see look good! Even this morning it ran just as described in your note.
but you still have check engine light on and the codes mentioned above?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so today I took this out and checked wiring from one end to the other. Near both ends right before the plugs the wires are TWISTED (Thank You Mexico) very tightly, well the end near the radiator had bare wires stretched that were touching. I separated and put back together with electric tape and still getting codes. The reason I just didn't go and replace it was it was my only ride so I was hoping it would work. So tomorrow off for the replacement.
Could this have shorted anything else out being the wires were bare?
Still works correctly just getting the codes.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK changed the clutch again (my hands look like they went thru a shredder), these wires were not twisted but straight out into the connector.
Also had to change the battery last night, had a local garage do work on the front end and for some reason he disconnected the battery and the neg terminal had an oversized connector I had to add a few months ago that required a lead type washer that he must of dropped and the terminal was loose as hell and kept flickering the last few days. Took to get checked after reconnecting properly and the battery would barely start the truck.
No codes in the few miles last night.

BUT a new problem!!!!!!!!
I had the mech who worked on the front end (lower control arms and lower ball joints) check out the rough idle. He ran some tests and mentioned vacuum issues, he said the test came back different each time. To much vacuum then to little vacuum. He never did say what could cause it and I was in a rush.

·
Registered
39 Posts
there has to be an easier way to install that thing, maybe hold it together with a bungee cord or something, or remove the shroud.

My import driving friends roll their eyes that any modern car would drive a fan off the engine

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK first few days all seemed well, clutch only engaged the first 2-3 minutes after start up whether hot or cold.
Starting the last few days it just engages anytime at all. Hot cold or just sitting at a light it will engage then off after a few minutes, slow down it engages again for a few minutes. Any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts