Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
06 trailblazer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 Chevy trailblazer with a 4.2 L, when my fan clutch disengages while engine is running it still slowly goes around but can be stopped with a little resistance with your hand, problem is with every revolution it lets out a squeak, once the fan engages it does not squeak, if I shut the engine off and try to spin the blade it does not squeak and will only go about 3/4 of a turn before stopping which I believe is normal, is this likely the fan clutch bearing going or is this the bearing on the water pump going that is squeaking with every revolution when it is not engaged but just slowly free turning? Also has a new belt and not rubbing on the shroud

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,685 Posts
I have a 2006 Chevy trailblazer with a 4.2 L, when my fan clutch disengages while engine is running it still slowly goes around but can be stopped with a little resistance with your hand, problem is with every revolution it lets out a squeak, once the fan engages it does not squeak, if I shut the engine off and try to spin the blade it does not squeak and will only go about 3/4 of a turn before stopping which I believe is normal, is this likely the fan clutch bearing going or is this the bearing on the water pump going that is squeaking with every revolution when it is not engaged but just slowly free turning? Also has a new belt and not rubbing on the shroud

A little puzzled here. This squeak that happens once per revolution.. is this counted with the engine off? Or with the engine idling? At a normal engine idle speed of right about 600 rpm the water pump shaft is turning about 730 rpm. So the bearing between the water pump/fan clutch would be squeaking at about 12 times per second.

Now there is another arena here which is the bearing between the actual fan clutch and the fan clutch solenoid/speed sensor. The solenoid/speed sensor is on the front of the fan clutch facing the radiator. That item remains stationary and one turn of the fan blades would be one revolution with regard to the solenoid/speed sensor.

·
Registered
06 trailblazer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little puzzled here. This squeak that happens once per revolution.. is this counted with the engine off? Or with the engine idling? At a normal engine idle speed of right about 600 rpm the water pump shaft is turning about 730 rpm. So the bearing between the water pump/fan clutch would be squeaking at about 12 times per second.

Now there is another arena here which is the bearing between the actual fan clutch and the fan clutch solenoid/speed sensor. The solenoid/speed sensor is on the front of the fan clutch facing the radiator. That item remains stationary and one turn of the fan blades would be one revolution with regard to the solenoid/speed sensor.

·
Registered
06 trailblazer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry I’m a little new here trying to figure out the buttons, anyhow like I was saying with the engine running and idling when the fan comes on it runs strong and quiet, but as soon as the fan disengages and shuts off and you’re sitting still idling the blade still goes around slowly even though you could stop it with your finger, if I let it go it starts turning slowly again still disengaged but squeaking every time it makes a revolution. You know sometimes when your fan shuts off and you’re idling it still goes around slowly on its own but with only a tiny bit of force, that’s when mine is squeaking every time it goes around, for instance when your clutch fan disengages when you’re idling the shaft is still spinning which causes your fan blade to still go around maybe 6- 10 times per minute, kind of like floating on its own, that’s when my blade squeaks, it’s disengaged but kind of still holding on just a little bit to make it slowly turn

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I would be a little concerned about a fan that disengages that much. Normally a disengaged fan will still spin at least 300 rpm to as much as 700 rpm at a normal engine rpm of 600. If they spin too slowly while disengaged they may not engage quick enough when required. This might show up in warm climates where the A/C would perform poorly at idle or at low speed and low engine rpms. Also the engine may run hot under the same conditions.

That doesn't seem to be your current issue though. Any low frequency squeaking while at idle would have to come from something stationary vs the fan blades, like the shround or the fan clutch solenoid/speed sensor, not any water pump or drive-side component.

·
Registered
06 trailblazer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be a little concerned about a fan that disengages that much. Normally a disengaged fan will still spin at least 300 rpm to as much as 700 rpm at a normal engine rpm of 600. If they spin too slowly while disengaged they may not engage quick enough when required. This might show up in warm climates where the A/C would perform poorly at idle or at low speed and low engine rpms. Also the engine may run hot under the same conditions.

That doesn't seem to be your current issue though. Any low frequency squeaking while at idle would have to come from something stationary vs the fan blades, like the shround or the fan clutch solenoid/speed sensor, not any water pump or drive-side component.
When the engine is off you can only spin the fan by hand 3/4 of a turn, fan runs perfect when engaged at idle or driving, just when idling and disengaged it still turns slowly and squeaks,what I’m thinking is that it’s hanging up just a little and not disengaging all the way, can’t be hanging up too much though cause I can stop it with my finger, guess I’ll just replace the fan clutch and pump, I was just wondering if it sounded definitely like the clutch fan or maybe it was the water pump actually squeaking and the sound just traveling through the shaft making it sound like it was the clutch , thanks i’ll figure it out, they say you should change the water pump when you change the fan clutch because they’re both on the same shaft and if one is going bad it can wear out the other

·
Registered
06 trailblazer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Oh OK, so you’re saying the fan should still be spinning even disengaged? If that’s the case it’s spinning but just not fast enough if I can stop it with my finger when disengaged, maybe that’s why it’s squeaking because it’s actually slipping not hanging up, I didn’t think it was supposed to spin at all when disengaged so I got it backwards, thanks

·
Registered
06 trailblazer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yes. Even my fan spinning at 720 rpm can be stopped by hand. Did that yesterday as a matter of fact!

·
Registered
06 trailblazer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. Even my fan spinning at 720 rpm can be stopped by hand. Did that yesterday as a matter of fact!
OK well then I guess it’s just the bearing in the fan clutch that’s starting to go, seems to be operating properly at idle and driving, just the squeaking while at idle when spinning slower

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
<ahem!> You got that wrong!

"To be, or not to be" THAT is the question.

Your: "To replace them both or not" is YOUR question.

Yes. Squeaking is not normal even to woke ones.

·
Registered
06 trailblazer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<ahem!> You got that wrong!

"To be, or not to be" THAT is the question.

Your: "To replace them both or not" is YOUR question.

Yes. Squeaking is not normal even to woke ones.
My superpower is a tractor trailer driver and we don’t do woke ones, we replace woke ones like an old part, woke is a joke, ask Kyle lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts