Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to these forums so I'm sorry if this has been talked about before. I have a 2002 Trailblazer with the 4.2l engine. I replaced the water pump a week ago and now the Service Engine Soon light comes on at startup and stays on, also during a hard acceleration the Reduced Engine Power light comes on. I have taken it to Autozone and the computer codes I get are P1221, P1271, P1481. I have read that his can be caused by the fan clutch but I would like some confirmation before I spend the $200.00 on the part and it not fix the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Yes, it has, and even new folks can use the search function. But welcome anyway!

The first two codes have to do with the Accelerator position sensors, and the last one is a circuit malfunction with the fan clutch. A GM TSB linked these two issues together by way of the 5V reference signal that goes to both of them.

Some people have found pinched/cut/frayed wires in the harness going to the fan clutch. Especially since you were just in there working on the water pump, this might be your issue. Take the harness apart and inspect it carefully.

Otherwise, it might be an internal failure in the fan clutch - a coincidence maybe with the water pump work.

But a 2002 fan clutch is a time bomb just waiting to fail. Get a new replacement by Dorman G313601 from the parts store. $150-175.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
122 Posts
And if you do it yourself, watch out for that pesky Cam Position Sensor when you've got your breaker bar and all your weight on it trying to break those bolts free :duh: Cost me an extra 20 or 30 bucks for that thing. Plus I got mine on ebay for about $100 I believe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.