Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Want to preface this by saying that I have looked through many threads regarding the electro-viscous fan clutch, and I'm still stumped.

The problem started on a long road trip, where it threw a fan speed too high code. Since the road trip the fan would not seem to change speed, nor was it fully engaged. I also hooked a snap-on scan tool to it, and when commanding it to change speeds, it would not do so. The engine would be very rough at idle and vibrate the whole vehicle, as if the fan wasn't fully disengaging.

I replaced the clutch recently, with the AcDelco/Behr OEM replacement, and now it's even worse. The fan is stuck fully engage (jet engine sounding) at every startup, and only disengages after 2500 rpm (revved at idle or driving), then seems to operate fine. This reoccurs at every startup, regardless of engine or ambient temp.

While I have found a few test procedures to try, none are very clear. If anyone can offer any advice on how to track down the problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

2005 GMC Envoy 4.2L

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Did you buy the AC Delco fan clutch from Autozone? I had the same issue with mine and changed it out twice and issue would not go away. I finally got one from the dealership and problem solved. Other company's try to replicate the original parts but sometimes miss something.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you buy the AC Delco fan clutch from Autozone? I had the same issue with mine and changed it out twice and issue would not go away. I finally got one from the dealership and problem solved. Other company's try to replicate the original parts but sometimes miss something.
Purchased the AcDelco/Behr OEM replacement from amazon. Being the clutch unlocks above 2000 rpm, I do not think the clutch is faulty. That is why I'm asking for more troubleshooting help.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
13 Posts
Two options. Spend $300 on the turd from the Stealership and it will work fine. Or buy a $40 fan from anywhere and pay the Stealership to update the PCM to accommodate the updated fan software settings at there hourly rate- LOL!! $40 fan + 1.5hr labor ($95?) $180 is cheaper.... Yep, I just deal with the noise and grumble about it. I hope someone proves me wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts