Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried calling GM to see if they can at least foot the bill for the part? Honestly this is a known problem. I'm thinking of calling and fighting with GM and ask to at least foot the bill for the fan clutch and I would pay for labor..what are the chances of getting any help from gm??

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
5 Posts
Fan clutch

Just replaced mine last night. Dealer $400. Pep Boys $195. The Pep Boys is made by the same company that was on my TB. (had the same sticker on it) Some GM parts are a rip off. Napa was $230 and came with a good warrenty. You can replace it in half the time you are on hold with GM. Very easy to do.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Anyone tried calling GM to see if they can at least foot the bill for the part? Honestly this is a known problem. I'm thinking of calling and fighting with GM and ask to at least foot the bill for the fan clutch and I would pay for labor..what are the chances of getting any help from gm??
From my experience as a customer and a GM employee you stand the best chance if you meet the following criteria:'

1. You are the original purchaser
2. You are within 50K miles (3 year 36 warranty)
3. You have purchased an "Uplevel" GM Vehicle, GMC, Cadillac
4. You are very nice but firm with the phone jockey

In my experience I can truly say anthing is possible if you are within the above constraints and you negoitate.

5. If none of this works, try to arrange a meeting with the district service rep when they visit the dealer. Show up with the data, but keep it in your pocket unless you need it. Be polite and firm, and if the Rep refuses, let him know directly that you dont like the way you have been treated, or the attitude that he or she has displayed itoward you in your conversation. Let him or her know that you will be contacting the GMC or what ever Brand Manager directly concerning the "attitude". Then follow up with this with a google search for the appropriate brand managers name, and contact that manager by first [email protected].

This process will work better than you think it will as GM is trimming 25% of its work force before 6/09. Sales, service and marketing personel are VERY high on the list of pink slipees. They are all on their guard and dont want customer complaints submitted on their "Bad attitudes"

Repeat the above as necessary until you receive satisfaction. Or the other alturnative is to do what 99.976% of Customers do after the warrenty expires and suck it up and pay out of your own pocket.

The choice is yours. A partial settlement will likely be yours if you meet the citeria of 1-4 and try 5 if needed

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply....well Everyone says its easy but I keep reading all this stuff about taking out the water pump and needing a pulley tool to hold the water pump pulley etc..I'm pretty handy I think?? I was able to replace the thermostat on my TB having to take out alternator and a few gallons of antifreeze on my driveway was not fun on a 10 degree day..I'll have to keep reading into it..

billdaman: The only criteria I meet is the mileage but the only problem is that it's a 2003 so its wayyyy over the 3 year thing....I just came back from the dealer, I had an oil change done for 15 bucks so how could I resist and asked for an estimate on the clutch..I got an estimate of 444 for parts and 345 for labor :eek:....I think I have a better chance of doing it myself rather than fight with GM.. it just pisses me off the fact that this is a known issue and they are not willing to do anything about it..also I'm not the original owner..ohh well...
jdfish: The clutch from pepboys, you sure is one of the good ones?? I read that the ones made in china are a replica of the original ones that had the defect..how do you know for sure this clutch is the new design??

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts
I called when I had mine replaced. Didn't even ask for full reimbursement, anything would be greatly appreciated. Told them of the difference in price online and the fact that there have been 2 upgrades to the fan clutch since 02.

In short, no recall, no bulletins, no reimbursement.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,369 Posts
you know, since there is the likely possibility that it will go out again before the vehicle dies, you might look into efans. There really isn't a whole kit available yet but with parts from flexalite and a dealer on here you can get a full conversion for about 300-400 dollars and never have to worry about that POS fan clutch again (and get a nice kick in the hp for converting).

Just a thought.... That's what I'll be doing if my clutch goes out again...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm conversion kit?? will this affect anything? AC performance etc?? wife drives the TB now and i dnt feel like hearing her nag about no ac etc..

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
11 Posts
fanclutch broke tday

How involved was it to replace the fan clutch? Any hidden items to watch out for? Was driving today and I guess it broke because it's making noise now.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat There are many posts about the fan clutch. Type "How to replace a fan clutch" in the Search box at the top of the page.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts
Didn't know it was such a common part to replace. so much for Easter Sunday
Not so much a question of if, but when on these. You'll find some who go years without the FC going out, some a short period of time. But you know engineers...if it ain't broke, let's see if we can find a way to improve it! I tried mine on the 03 I had and gave up. The nut was pretty much seized onto the water pump shaft. I had the part, so I took it to a local shop to put it on.
Not a bad idea to go ahead and replace the water pump while you're in there. You have to take the clutch off to replace it anyway. It doesn't cost 1/2 of the clutch.
Also, depending on your model year and your available funds, you may want to have the PCM flashed to update to the new fan clutch calibrations. It should work without that, but the software was updated to the latest beginning with the 05 model.

Good luck and Happy Easter!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts