1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GMC ENVOY XL DENALI
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,
I have a 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 5.3
The coils are part number ULTRA-POWER UF414 12573190, 5C1555 ROUND COILS. I'm trying to understand as to how these coils work so well for a matter of one year and fail in a sequence I don't understand. If anyone has any suggestions on some better coils I can throw in and not worry about failure for a least 5 years would be greatly appreciated? I'm trying not to have to buy another clean pretty damn expensive catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
107 Posts
In looking up ignition coils for your Envoy, it appears that the Ultra-Power UF414 coils are considered an "economy" part which might mean that it is a generic part that was manufactured with minimal quality control. Considering their low price, I imagine that the quality of the materials used in the manufacture is not as good as the materials used in the manufacture of Delphi or Standard Motor Products/BWD ignition coils. I did not mention ACDelco coils since they ACDelco is no longer a manufacturer, whereas Delphi and SMP/BWD are. However, I would say that ACDelco coils are very good parts.

If I were in your shoes, I would either some Delphi or SMP (non T series) ignition coils from Rockauto.com or Amazon.com, and order a set of 8 coils. Yes, you will spend about $30 per coil, but you won't have to worry about them crapping out on you in 12 months.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2006 GMC ENVOY XL DENALI
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much.....Question tho...that's are the non T series?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Standard Motor Products has two grades of auto parts these days - a premium line, and an "economical" line for those looking to save $$. The premium line is typically backed by a 3 year warranty, but many of their ignition coils are now backed by a lifetime warranty. Their "economical" line, or T line are normally warranted for one year. The SMP premium ignition coil for your Envoy is a UF-414; the T line part number is UF414T. Standard Motor Products also sells parts under the BWD label. BWD parts also come in two tiers, premium and "economical". Their "economical" line part numbers end with a P suffix. The BWD parts are from what I have been able to tell are for all practical purposes identical to the equivalent SMP part (except perhaps for color).

Most auto parts lines these days offer two or three tiers of part quality. ACDelco for instance has the Advantage Line, the Professional line and the OEM line. The Advantage line is their least expensive parts line and is considered to be a "value" line aimed at people looking to getting their vehicle repaired for the least amount of money. The Professional line is a "standard quality" line of auto parts aimed at the mainstream auto repair. The OEM line is just that, actual OEM parts which are considered to be the best quality and the price of the part reflects that quality and those parts typically come with the best warranty.

By and large, cheap/inexpensive auto parts are just that, cheap, and they could be of questionable quality. Many times these "inexpensive" parts turn out to cost more in the long run because they fail prematurely and often there is little or no warranty on them. One part to never cheap out on is the fuel pump assembly unless you want to repeatedly drop the fuel tank to replace it. For a GM product, I'll only purchase an ACDelco fuel pump assembly or a Delphi fuel pump assembly. Delphi is an OEM supplier to GM and in many instances, an ACDelco fuel pump assembly is a relabeled Delphi fuel pump assembly.

I hope this has helped you. I know you only asked about what the non-T line SMP parts were, but I thought I would take the opportunity to share some of the knowledge I have obtained from the various automotive enthusiast forums I participate in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good Morning,
I have a 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 5.3
The coils are part number ULTRA-POWER UF414 12573190, 5C1555 ROUND COILS. I'm trying to understand as to how these coils work so well for a matter of one year and fail in a sequence I don't understand. If anyone has any suggestions on some better coils I can throw in and not worry about failure for a least 5 years would be greatly appreciated? I'm trying not to have to buy another clean pretty damn expensive catalytic converter.
This may be totally unrelated but I was burning out coils randomly when I tried using a set of E3 spark plugs in my Envoy. Switched back to the stock iridium's and I haven't burned one out in about 6 years (Jinxed).

·
Registered
2006 GMC ENVOY XL DENALI
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This may be totally unrelated but I was burning out coils randomly when I tried using a set of E3 spark plugs in my Envoy. Switched back to the stock iridium's and I haven't burned one out in about 6 years (Jinxed).
You know...I've brought double platinum by accident so i figured to just leave them until the next tune up in 25000 miles. Thanks for the hint...but i am just still going to upgrade the coils, wires, and plugs to oem...i just thought with local driving i would be safe....I'm not hard on the truck nor was the previous owner as they had the block gaskets replaced (super dry).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Double platinum plugs should be OK in your 5.3. I know that the ACDelco 41-962 double platinum plug is the factory preferred plug in my 99 Silverado's 5.3 L engine. As long as you stay with ACDelco or NGK plugs (NGK makes a lot of the plugs for ACDelco) you should be fine.

Regarding the E3 plugs freenet_2k mentioned, I have never read anything good about them on any of the vehicle forums I belong to. Overall consensus is that they are more of a gimmick than a good part.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
68 Posts
Or you can go to the junkyard and get some factory GM coils. The pull yourself yards around me only charge $10a coil with a 30 day warranty. I have 3 different LS engines and have never had issues with coils, I suspect there might be something else going on with your engine. Have you had the DOD deleted yet? There might be something going on when the ecm cuts power to the coils and repowers them. The 1st thing I would do is have the DOD deleted, it's a huge problem on these 5.3s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts