Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for some halo fog lights for a while. When I didn't really find what I was looking for I decided to see if I could do something with the stock lights. What I ended up doing was taking off the plastic cover over the housing and putting flexible LED strips along the inner edge. I picked up a couple bright white LED strips from autozone for like $25. As far as the wiring goes, I just tapped into the day time running lights for the power source. So they come on whenever the vehicle is in drive. Did it in about an hour. Quick and cheap mod, but definitely turns heads on the road! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I'll definitely take some night shots later.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
looking good!! Great mod!! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
:undecided Just had a thought, since you tapped into the DRLs (low beams) as the power source, and from all appearances you've got stock headlights, do the LEDs flicker or pulse at all in DRL mode? (I noticed all your pics have the low beams and parking lights on)

You take any night shots for us yet? :D

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
101 Posts
Looks really good, need to add some hids to the headlights. What size strips did you buy to fit perfectly into the fogs?

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
28 Posts
Looks really good, need to add some hids to the headlights. What size strips did you buy to fit perfectly into the fogs?
I think you can cut them down to size. There's a diagram that tells where to cut.

Lookin good though!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The LEDs come on anytime my DRLs are on or the headlights at night. So pretty much they're on anytime the vehicle is in drive. No flicker, just constant light. And yes the strips can be cut to size to fit nicely around the rim of the fog light! And I did take a day pic and then a night pic to compare the two. The pictures really don't do it justice because the camera picks up the light differently than the eyes. When you just look at it yourself, the individual LEDs are clearly visible. Through the camera at night, however, it resembles HID light. But, here they are anyway! Also, my birthday is in a couple months so I'm thinking some HIDs are in the near future...:excited:

Attachments

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Yeah, any of us that have tried taking pics of our LED mods know exactly what you're talking about. :yes: It's hard to have enough ambient light to pick up enough detail so you don't need the flash, but still get the right look of what's going on. :bonk:

They look good, I showed this thread to a buddy of mine, and he wants to do the same to his Voy. His wife wasn't digging the color difference, so they get to figure that one out together... :suicide:

·
Banned
1,604 Posts
Really like how they look! :hail:

Yeah, any of us that have tried taking pics of our LED mods know exactly what you're talking about. :yes: It's hard to have enough ambient light to pick up enough detail so you don't need the flash, but still get the right look of what's going on. :bonk:

They look good, I showed this thread to a buddy of mine, and he wants to do the same to his Voy. His wife wasn't digging the color difference, so they get to figure that one out together... :suicide:
:crackup: That can be a tough one to work with

Yes LED's are not easy to take pictures of at all :bonk: lol

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
101 Posts
You did an excellent job and i really like this mod. I think when i get time i will try this. What brand leds from autozone did you get cause i like the color? Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
57 Posts
I just tapped into the day time running lights for the power source.
It looks like you didn't replace the fog lamp bulbs. Was that because you didn't like the look, or because they no longer worked?

Nice mode, :thumbsup: if I get the time I'll be doing it, but it'd be nice if the fog lamps still worked

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure what brand they were. I just saw the strips in autozone and decided to give it a shot. There's a bunch of different colors too! And I didn't do anything with the actual bulb itself. The fog lights still work, but it's not foggy that often here so I hardly even use them. But the LEDs are on anytime the headlights are on.

·
Banned
1,604 Posts
I'm not sure what brand they were. I just saw the strips in autozone and decided to give it a shot. There's a bunch of different colors too! And I didn't do anything with the actual bulb itself. The fog lights still work, but it's not foggy that often here so I hardly even use them. But the LEDs are on anytime the headlights are on.
Is that the only time your allowed to use them? I use mine all the time at night for that extra light on the side of the roads.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, don't get me wrong. I used to have them on at night for the same reason, but the white light behind the bluish LEDs looks weird to me so I don't turn the fogs on anymore. The LEDs actually do put out some light that you can see on the road in front of the vehicle at night.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts