Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody experienced an exhaust leak on the manifold? I thought it was the donut gasket where the exhaust meets the manifold but I changed it and there is no difference. The sound is definitely coming from that area. Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
My dad's manifold on his hyundai gallpoer2 had a hole in it. He fixed it by changing both manifolds which cost about $200

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, thanks this is a trailblazer hence the question on this site/forum. I am trying to find out about GM products not Hyundais. And I doubt it would be as cheap as 200 beans. But thanks for replying since no one else has

·
Registered
2002 gmc
226 Posts
Actaully I just had that fixxed on my TB about a month ago.. Dunno if it the same thing or not.. But they changed the Gasket and all of the bolts.. and it went away.. Thats the best I can do..

Russ

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
mine was leaking, the bolts were loose enough to unscrew with my hands. just threw some loc-tite on them and torqued them down. check the o2 sensor also..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input. I will check the O2 sensor too. I replaced the donut gasket even though the old wasn't bad (after seeing it when I took it out) and tightened it all up but the sound is the same stll remains.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You did not give the year, but if it is an early 02 I6 the dealer has a bulletin on replacing the bolts and manifold gasket. The old bolts would stretch and cause the gasket to leak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just fixed this same leak on mine a few weeks ago. The front, and rear 1/3 of the bolts were loose. Tightened them up, and no more noise. Give it a shot. A few hours, and no $ out of pocket.:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
exhaust leak

previous e-mails have it mostly right. GM bulletin 02-06-01-032 describes this conditon and the fix. Change bolts and gasket. Torque bolts 3 times to 15 lb ft. What they don't tell you is what happened in the first place. It seems the bolts were designed too long and that when they were originally torqued out it was the bolt bottoming out not the clamping force that made the torque gun stop.
I'm afraid if you just tighten the long bolts it will not be too long before your listening to the exhaust leak again.
Be careful, exhasut leaks under the hood is a safety issue and has been linked to excessive carbon monoxide blood levels and accidents, specifically role overs.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,749 Posts
I had my O2 sensor and exhaust manifold gasket replaced in August. One of the bolts broke off and the engine had to be dismantled. I have the GM extended warranty and it covered the $2,000.00 bill.

The check engine light went on for the 02 sensor and a ticking sound was coming from the engine.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1 Posts
Thought mine had a gasket leak as well. split manifold. bolt broke off in the head. the last bolt near the firewall. $600 later...... :hissy:

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
Has anybody experienced an exhaust leak on the manifold? I thought it was the donut gasket where the exhaust meets the manifold but I changed it and there is no difference. The sound is definitely coming from that area. Anyone have any info?

In my opinion..
You have to wonder when there are so many complaints about one part, and such a major part at that.
I love my 2008 trail blazer, but it also has a cracked manifold .
Now this is not the only site where the manifolds from the same engines are a constant complaint,.
Being as there are so many complaints about these manifolds it leads me to believe that it is a manufacturing problem and should be addressed as such.
As for tie rods and any moving parts I agree they break or ware out just as your tire do and often but the manifold is different.
I’ve always owned used vehicles all my life and NEVER have I had a manifold crack on me once this is a part that is suppose to last a lifetime, its not just a cost issue but also an environmental one.
I’m taking my trailblazer into the dealer Monday and I have copied some of these comments about the manifold problem, its being looked at by some sort of head mechanic, whose decision is apparently final .
After his inspection I’m going to let him see all these comments for its evident to me his decision well be swayed if they do not cover at least the part of the cost .
Let you know how things go if it dose not go well there’s always W5 lol
Tim Holden.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
34 Posts
manafold leak

I just took mine into the dealer ship right before christmas because i had a leak of somekind and a hissing noise...they called me and said one of the bolts had broke off on the exhaust manafold and to get it fixed would be 2200.00 and 5 days of down time. since the bolt broke they would have to machine it out and then replace all the bolts and gasket. This seems like a very strange issue because it's an 05 TB, and doesn't even have 100K miles on it yet, they said it rusted off? unless they use cheap bolts, this shouldn't happen! Is there a quick fix or a temp fix that can be done...can't swallow the 2200 repair bill at this point, the noise isn't getting worse, other than it's annoying.

They told me i could replace the gasket without fixing the bolt and it would help some, but then i run the risk of others breaking off.

Any idea's would be great.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
10 Posts
Broken bolt removal from bellow surface of cylinder head

I just took mine into the dealer ship right before christmas because i had a leak of somekind and a hissing noise...they called me and said one of the bolts had broke off on the exhaust manafold and to get it fixed would be 2200.00 and 5 days of down time. since the bolt broke they would have to machine it out and then replace all the bolts and gasket. This seems like a very strange issue because it's an 05 TB, and doesn't even have 100K miles on it yet, they said it rusted off? unless they use cheap bolts, this shouldn't happen! Is there a quick fix or a temp fix that can be done...can't swallow the 2200 repair bill at this point, the noise isn't getting worse, other than it's annoying.

They told me i could replace the gasket without fixing the bolt and it would help some, but then i run the risk of others breaking off.

Any idea's would be great.

I helped a friend of mine replace his cracked Exhaust Manifold on his 2003 trailblazer, 4.2L I6, Saturday. Of the (11) M8-1.25 x ~30lg grade 9.8 hex flange bolts... The heads broke off (4) of them. (2) were broken off below the surface of the Cylinder Head, and two twisted off at the head of the screw.

So, I was able to easily weld hex nuts to the two with exposed threads.
The other two were a lot more difficult. After several hours and countless attempts. I was eventually successful building up several layers of weld, inside the hole, on the broken stud, to extend it out of the hole to give me something to weld a nut to.

It helped to SLIGHTLY enlarge the chamfer, of the threaded hole, to give a better view of the stud in the hole. I am sure it also helped to reduce the potential of the first couple threads getting damaged and not allowing the stud to screw out.

Don't get discouraged if the nut twists off... This happended to me at least 20 times. Because I was vary careful not to damage the aluminum cylinder head with the weld. Eventually I was able to get one to bite on to the broken bolt and it screwed right out...

I was using a Miller 180 (MIG) with 75% Argon and 25% CO2 shielding gas with the settings to weld 3/16"...

I also disconnected the battery cables. Not sure of the risk of damaging the control modules when welding ...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
147 Posts
Bringing an old thread back. I have the dreaded manifold leak. I took the heat shield off last week, and was able to see that the manifold doesn't appear to have a crack or anything visible. I used my hands and a mirror to look and feel around the back side. I sound nothing. There appears to be a small gap around the gasket, but I am hesitant to try an tighten it. Is there anything on the market like high temp gasket maker that can be beaded around the manifold to seal any gaps. I don't want to risk breaking a bolt head.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
13 Posts
You could run seafoam and see where the leak is coming from then go from there. If the manifold is cracked you can try the exhaust weld products that most auto parts stores sell. If it is the gasket there is nothing I have seen that is able to repair the leak without removing the manifold and applying a new gasket.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
147 Posts
How would I do that with seafoam? Would that be the trick with adding SF to the brake booster vacuum line, or something like that I read once that makes it smoke like hell?

Any tips on where, and how-to would be great.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
13 Posts
I put a vacuum hose about 2 feet long on the bottom port of the piece of the intake that says vortec. I reassembled the intake with a plug on the piece that the tube normally connects to. I put about a 1/4 cup of seafoam in a small cup. I then started the car and slowly!! sucked the sea foam in the intake. I then shut the vehicle off. Removed the tube and reassembled the intake properly. Waited 15 mins and started the truck. It will smoke like hell and this is what will help you find where it's leaking from. I'm not sure if there is an easier way to get the seafoam in past the sensors but this is what I did. This will also clean your intake. Don't use too much seafoam. I'm not a mechnic so yeah but this is how I clean my intake and how I found a leak I didn't even know I had. GL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts