Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
19 Posts
So I just got done swapping mine out! I didn't break any bolts, or really have any issues. I soaked the 11 manifold bolts in PB blaster and the 3 flange nuts as well. I let that sit overnight, then I broke the torque on all the bolts and backed them out about two turns, I then soaked them with some more PB bLaster and let them sit overnight. The next day I took them all out and had no issues what soever. I had to use a breaker bar with the flange nuts, but other then that I had no issues there as well. I got my flange donut gasket from autozone for 8 bucks and I got the bolts with thread locker on them already from the dealership for $2.28 a bolt. I bought the manifold off of amazon for $117. Its really not a super hard job, if you can turn a wrench, you can do this. This was my first time replacing one.

Here is what mine looked like when I got it out

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
17 Posts
Ahhhh crap

...i had a silly comment from my friend that my car sounds like had a diesel engine in it regarding the sound it makes...
Till page 12 of this thread I hadn't seen a good description of what these cracked manifolds sound like, but that's EXACTLY what's been coming to mind for me the last few mornings at startup - "Geez that sounds like a diesel truck" !! And although the volume isn't terribly loud, it certainly has that quality to it.

In my case though, I'm not immediately expecting to find a crack. I've only had my Envoy a little over 2 weeks and I am about 90% sure the selling dealer told me he had just replaced a cracked exhaust manifold in this vehicle before I bought it. Dealer is also a straight up kinda guy, Ontario OMVIC registered dealer, so I know that he knows if there was any misrepresentation on his part his a$$ is in a sling.

So in the morning I'm gonna take it to the local dealer for exhaust manifold bolt inspection, get them to check that all the bolts are present and tight, kinda suspect I will find one or two that have backed off a bit since new manifold was installed....wish me luck. Will report back later on what I find.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
140 Posts
Good Day,
Well here in Chicago its about 88 degrees. When i started the truck it sounds like a diesel just like ever one has described. After it starts to warm up the load almost ticking sound goes away.
Questions for anyone in the Chicago area where can i find a good trust worthy mechanic. The local guy wants 375 for the manifold, forgot how much for the cat with sensors, all i know its going to be close to 1000.00 for this. Looking on Rock Auto the manifold is like half the price he's quoting me. I'm at 150k and my fuel economy has gone to the low teens. 12.8-14.5. I have replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body, coolant temp sensor and thermostat.

Any advice email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Exhaust Manifold Leak?

Yesterday I was told that I may possibly have an Exhaust Manifold Leak. I have an 03 Chevy Trailblazer Lt. It was plugged into, and the readings came up as - Cooling fan speed lost, as well as - Catalyst System, Low Effiency Sensor 1 Bank 1.What does Cooling fan speed lost mean, maybe a Clutch Fan? The Catalyst System code I was thinking an o2 Sensor, but could the Exhaust Manifold Leak cause that to trigger? My truck was running weird.. it was shaking a little. And then didn't start twice, and when it did it kind of stalled out. The Check Gages light came on when it 'stalled.' This is so aggravating, i've had many problems with my TB! Especially after getting rear ended. How much approximately would something like this cost? Hoping to get a rough estimate before bringing it in to get looked at thoroughly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for bringing this post back from the dead, but I recently had to change my exhaust manifold. And not having a reason behind all these cracked manifolds has been bugging me.
Well I just came accross an article talking about the auto 4wd setting, and the strong jolt our rides give out when kicking into 4wd mode supposedly causing transfer cases to "blow up" and suggested to never keep it in auto mode.
Is it possible that with worn motor mounts, that same jolt could be the reason behind all these manifolds cracking?? Assuming most people keep their ride in auto most the time, as I did untill now.

If anybody more mechanically inclined could give any insight on the possibility or not, of this link I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance and especially to all you guys with the info to help me diagnose what the issue was to begin with!

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
ive been told its a casting issue and bad design.

not enough reinforcement on the bolt sides, and the repeated cycles of heating up and cooling causes it to fail.

more GM junk, bad design and even worse manufacturing. anything to save a buck.

241 - 246 of 246 Posts