1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i got a 2002 LS (trailblazer) 4.2

well i got a few problems and some warnings for you

if you have an exhaust manifold thats cracked i would suggest that you replace it a.s.a.p.

i tried driving it as is to buy some time, well that wasnt a god idea. turns out it got too hot, and melted some wires and unfortunatley it melted my power steering pump resevour. kinda crazy but i guess thats what i get for procrastinating

have any of you ever seen this before?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't heard about the melting of parts but just this week I know of two Envoys that the manifold cracked on.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Shame there isn't a drop-in header available for the 4.2, it would make the perfect excuse to buy one! :) - I'd be out there chanting 'crack baby crack', every time I drove it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 03 TB with the 4.2 and I also have a cracked exhaust manifold, believe it or not if you go and get yourself some furnace cement from Home Depot, its around 10 bucks and mold it on let it cure for a few hours and then start the truck and let it idle for 20 to 30 min no more crack and it does work great I will put up some pics of mine for you all to see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2003 TB EXT ~ same thing, almost. .

Just wanted to let you know that my 03 TB EXT had a similar problem. . cracked/broken bolts on the exhaust manifold. . .had to drill out the bolts, not an easy process, re-tap and re-install. .. FYI. . .

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah see everyone has been telling me the bolts are gonna break, so i may just jb weld or putty it to try it, cause i really got nothin to loose ya know. hey if it works then i dont gotta deal with drilling and tapping any bolts in awkward places.

how long has your putty been on there?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
17 Posts
how much does this cost to replace? (I don't do any of the work-I'm too girly!!:rolleyes:) I've been told that I may have a cracked manifold. How do you know that's the problem? I've just replaced the catalytic converter in September and there still is a low roar when I accelerate. I have nearly 120K miles.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
Shame there isn't a drop-in header available for the 4.2, it would make the perfect excuse to buy one! :) - I'd be out there chanting 'crack baby crack', every time I drove it.
actually there is...but only custom made at kooks.

1200 for aluminum and 2250 for stainless steel.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
45 Posts
Possible cracked Manifold

Does the cracked Manifold cause a big smell of fumes to enter the cabin after engine revs high (Merging onto Highway)? I have this issue, but not sure what is causing this.
Any links to related info appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
78 Posts
Hello Dillyo82,

Yes, it most certainly would be the possible cause. Mine is cracked and now is very pronounced as of this past Wednesday. Noticing the fumes in the cabin, but more so when idle in traffic. The sun roof is almost always open, but getting it looked at by the dealer on Monday. My mechanic says to try that as I am still very close to the warranty period. Anyone hear of recall bulletin for this problem?

Regards, CCI_TBLT.

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
Well it looks like I am joining the ranks of those with the cracked manifold. My TB has 81,000 miles on it. At first I was going to replace it myself but after hearing about the broken bolts I may just let the dealer give me an estimate before I decide. I found a few places online that have the manifold for about 200. but I really do not have the time to fight with a bunch of rusted and broken bolts.

I can attest to the fumes in the cabin. We were driving back from Florida and I noticed the noise. It is not that loud yet but the fumes are the bigger issue. Since my wife drives it the most with the kids in the car I want to get it fixed soon.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
9 Posts
Anyone have a sound clip of what it sounds like...mine is making a funny ticking noise, sounds like it's coming from the passenger side...and could be an exhaust leak.

???

Thanks,

JC

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
Mine is cracked too! And it is my rattleing/ticking noise. Problem is that I procrastinated about an exhaust leak, now I have two O2 sencors and a catalytic converter to replace along with it! Does anyone know if GM is addressing this issue? Cause what I am finding is that this is not an unusual problem!

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
78 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the delayed response, but yes it was not covered under warrenty and cost me g-note to repair. As soon as I have some pics ready I will post them. The crack was about 1/4" wide, right the complete way around the back most of the thre colletor pipes. My guys at the shop have never seen anything like this, real poor design and workmanship here, and truely was a material flaw. Funny though, it craps apart just at the 60,000km warrenty period. Happy that it runs smoother and quiter, but not so happy with the cost and just the shear bad luck of this.

Regards, CCI_TBLT.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
18 Posts
Discovered that I had a cracked manifold last Monday drove it to Thursday and said enough, had to bring the truck to the dealership. The exhaust fumes seeping into the cabin were giving me a killer headache, not to mention the insane noise that was comming from the engine compartment. My TrailVoy has 31,xxx miles on it so I was still covered under warrenty. I was suprised when the guy at the dealership said that I was coverd even with a custom dual exhaust and a Volant CAI. He stated as long as the stock cats haven't been removed the car is still covered. It sounds 100% better.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
With all these cracked exhaust maniflods I have a question of do you offroad and run thru a stream at all? Also do you think getting a stocker Jet-Hot coated would help if thats the case?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
21 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the delayed response, but yes it was not covered under warrenty and cost me g-note to repair. As soon as I have some pics ready I will post them. The crack was about 1/4" wide, right the complete way around the back most of the thre colletor pipes. My guys at the shop have never seen anything like this, real poor design and workmanship here, and truely was a material flaw. Funny though, it craps apart just at the 60,000km warrenty period. Happy that it runs smoother and quiter, but not so happy with the cost and just the shear bad luck of this.

Regards, CCI_TBLT.
I too am joining the ranks of people with cracked manifolds. Unlike you my 06 TB GMPP warranty is picking up the tab. You should call GM @ 1800 GMDRIVE, explain the situation and perhaps they might give you a "good will" repair / refund. I did it after the cover on my rear hatch broke and it wasn't covered under GMPP .

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
I bit the bullet and took my TB to the dealer for the repair. I went back and forth about doing this myself but decided I do not have the time if I break any bolts.

I let the dealer diagnose the problem and give me an estimate. They came back with new manifold and installation at 600.00. I gave them the green light to do it. The mechanic said two bolts did break off and they had to drill and tap them. It is holding, runs great and is quiet again.

While I had it in they fixed a front differential leak, changed the trans fluid and a few other things. Total bill was right at 1000.

What I found most interesting and refreshing is everything they told me was wrong with my TB was right on and I already knew about it. They did not try to upsell me on any other work. I was surprised to see they even reinstalled all heat shields and pans. Many places tend to leave these things off.

If you are in the Chicago area check out Castle Chevrolet on Roosevelt Road in Villa Park. I am very happy with the work they did.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts