Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and I am just a 71-year-old owner with limited mechanical diagnostic experience, so please bear with me.

My question concerns a check engine light that is caused by the following codes:
P0420 CAT> Efficiency
P0496 Evap. Purge
P2138 APP Sensor
P0014 Exhaust Cam Position

The people at the garage told me that the catalytic converter is probably not bad because the engine is running well. They think that the other two codes (P2138 and P0014) are causing the codes for the catalytic converter. I ran it by my mechanic and he scratched his head and said "Hmmm!"

Hence my dilemma. Can someone please help me out? Please remember that I am not an automotive mechanic. I can tear a jet engine down and put it together again, but am just a remove and replace auto mechanic; so please use language that I can understand.:thx

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
70 Posts
The evap purge code 0496 is a purge valve on the driver's side of the engine under the intake. That valve usually goes bad on it's own, so I doubt it is causing the other codes. It by itself has very little effect on the running of the engine, but I am not familiar with the others, but someone might chime in. I do know the cam sensor causes some issues on a lot of these, so I would probably start there. The purge valve by the way is a pain to swap out, they didn't exactly put it where it was easy to get at.

Gene:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts