Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Hope you all had a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July!
I had a question about oil consumption. I checked the oil in my trailblazer a week ago, when I last washed it, and it was as full as full can get. I washed my truck again today, and checked the oil again, this time the oil was down to the first dot. Call me crazy, but that seems rediculous that the level dropped 2 dots in a week. I don't run the engine hard, but I give it a workout. Also, the oil pressure gauge was reading normal pressure between 40 and 80 consistently. Every maintenance period, I have to keep filling it up....I'm fed up!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Be Practical

How many miles did you drive for your oil to go down the less than one quart you are concerned about? I don't know, but I'll bet you went at least 1,000 miles since you topped up your oil.

Take the practical approach. Make sure the oil filter and drain plug are not leaking, and oil isn't leaking onto hot exhaust parts. You can buy a lot of oil for what it will cost to reduce this sort of oil consumption.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
Have you noticed any smoke? Yes do the easy stuff first and check the entire engine over for any oil leaks. In addition to check the oil and oil filter, I would recommend changing the PCV valve (cheap - maybe $2?). After that you need to start looking at gaskets and rings. But with all of these you should seen signs of the problem (oil on engine, engine smoking, etc etc).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Guys,
There is absoulutely no leaks under or around the truck. The last time it was in for service was about 1,000 miles ago. There is no smoke what so ever coming from the exhaust. It seems to be running ok, I looked under the hood, and I couldn't see a drop of oil. I have been having to top it off for a while now between oil changes, and I told the dealer about it, but of course, they dismissed my concerns! The engine temp was about half way between cold and normal operating temp when I checked it, and I did let the oil drain into the crankcase. The longest trip I have done, since last maintenance was to the Jersey Shore about 250 miles roundtrip highway

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
183 Posts
Go with the PCV valve...If it fails it can cause blow-by resulting in the oil consumption.:m2:

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
Should be on the driver side valve cover at the very back. Will have a hose connected to it. Very easy to replace. Go buy one at the auto parts store - having it may help you locate it.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
IIRC, A bad PCV will not cause blow-by. Blow-by is caused by bad rings. If it is stuck closed it will cause pressure to build-up in the crankcase (the C in PCV) and cause oil to leak out. Pull the old PCV out and shake it. You should be able to hear the ball inside rattle. If not, replace it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
147,000 miles of owning a TB-- and I didnt know we had a PCV valve...
do we? I thought we didnt have one...

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, have not yet had time to disconect the PCV tube and valve, but if that is the cause of this annoying problem, how much do they cost, and where can I get one, because I was going to autozone today.

·
Registered
chevy other
1,890 Posts
Hey Guys,
There is absoulutely no leaks under or around the truck. The last time it was in for service was about 1,000 miles ago. There is no smoke what so ever coming from the exhaust. It seems to be running ok, I looked under the hood, and I couldn't see a drop of oil. I have been having to top it off for a while now between oil changes, and I told the dealer about it, but of course, they dismissed my concerns!
dismissed your concerns???? every engine will use oil!!! normal oil consumption as per gm is 1 quart per 2000 miles

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It used a quart of oil in a WEEK!!!! That is not normal. Autozone ran a scan, no codes or faults. Dealer and parts department told me there is no PCV valve on the 5.3L engine.

·
Registered
chevy other
1,890 Posts
  1. <LI type=1>Verify that the engine has no external leaks. Repair as necessary. <LI type=1>Verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual). <LI type=1>Park the vehicle on a level surface. <LI type=1>Wait at least 15 minutes, after the engine is shut off, before checking the oil level to make sure that the oil has had time to drain back into the crankcase. <LI type=1>Verify that the oil level is at, but not above, the full mark on the dipstick, and that the proper viscosity and quality oil are being used as recommended in the Owner's Manual. <LI type=1>Record the vehicle mileage, date, and exact oil level on the form included in this bulletin. <LI type=1>Ask the customer to verify the oil level, each time the vehicle is fueled, following steps 1-6 and return the vehicle to the dealership if the oil level is found at or below the add mark, 0.946 liter (1 qt) low. If the oil level remains above the add mark, the customer should continue to operate the vehicle and verify the engine oil level until 3200 km (2000 mi) has accumulated before returning to the dealership for a final evaluation.
  2. If the final evaluation shows that the engine uses more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), follow the published symptom diagnostics as described in the appropriate Service Manual. If the oil consumption test shows that the engine uses less than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), explain to the customer that their engine meets the guidelines for oil consumption.
before you go off half cocked here is the proper procedure for checking your oil,was the oil down to the add line??? if not it WAS NOT a quart low

1 - 20 of 62 Posts