Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When sending a pcm to pcm4less to have it reprogrammed, since it is getting rewritten, does it have to match your vehicle exactly? What I am getting at is: I want to have a tune done but I can't have my vehicle down for a week or more, I was thinking of getting a pcm from a Trailblazer at the local wrecking yard and sending it in to get reprogrammed, that way it would only be down for the 1/2 hour it takes to swap computers. I am sure there are serial numbers on these for a certain series of pcms, locally my research shows a couple of the same seriel #'s for the I6 4.2 as low as $40, found a 5.3ltr pcm for $50. Do I simply need any one pcm from a 5.3ltr truck or does it have to be a 2005 only, or a 2005 with AWD only, etc, etc? How much are they actually rewritting. Also, how many times can a computer be rewritten, is it like the memory on a flash drive that can be written over a 1,000 times or like some car computers where 3 times the limit?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,461 Posts
When sending a pcm to pcm4less to have it reprogrammed, since it is getting rewritten, does it have to match your vehicle exactly? What I am getting at is: I want to have a tune done but I can't have my vehicle down for a week or more, I was thinking of getting a pcm from a Trailblazer at the local wrecking yard and sending it in to get reprogrammed, that way it would only be down for the 1/2 hour it takes to swap computers. I am sure there are serial numbers on these for a certain series of pcms, locally my research shows a couple of the same seriel #'s for the I6 4.2 as low as $40, found a 5.3ltr pcm for $50. Do I simply need any one pcm from a 5.3ltr truck or does it have to be a 2005 only, or a 2005 with AWD only, etc, etc? How much are they actually rewritting. Also, how many times can a computer be rewritten, is it like the memory on a flash drive that can be written over a 1,000 times or like some car computers where 3 times the limit?

As far as I'm aware you don't need a certain pcm from a tb,envoy,rainier for it to work in your ride. Only thing im not sure about is if it comes from a 5.3 if it will work, but should. Otherwise as long as you give them your vin you'll be ok, if you grab one from some other ride of the same make model ect and put it in your ride it will not work at all. So send one in that you are getting yourself at a junk yard or whatever. They can also be rewritten as many times as you want, mine has be redone or tweaked about 8 or 9 times now.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
02-05 I6s are all identical.
06 and 07 I6s are not and neither are the same as 02-05 (so there are 3 seperate PCMs from 02-07).
08-09 I6 use an E67 ECM and a T42 TCM.

03-04 5.3s should be a standard LS1 PCM.
05-06 5.3/6.0 use an E40 ECM and a T42 TCM (need BOTH)
07-09 5.3/6.0 use an E67 ECM and a T42 TCM (again, need BOTH).

Take a pic of your computer and I can tell you what you have. Im pretty sure you have an E40/T42 combo. You cannot buy a PCM out of a fullsize truck, it will still be an LS1 PCM which will not work if you have an E40/T42 combo.

Check this link to see if it is an LS1 PCM: 03-04 5.3L V8 PCM replacement how-to

You can buy a set of modules used and send them to PCM4Less to be reprogrammed with your VIN, correct operating system, and their tune. Then do a CASE relearn and you should be good to go. Or buy a set of cores from them directly.

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 computers to ship?

So you are saying for a 2005 Rainier AWD w/5.3 ltr, I need to ship pcm4less both a T42 transmission control module and an E40 ECM to get a proper tune? Also, I did a quick search for used ecm's out there and came across a couple different serial numbered ecm's listed as E40's. Will any one of them work, or do I need to match serial #'s, or will this be taken care of during the rewrite? Sorry for so many questions but the websites that offer this service didn't mention sending in 2 units. For the price of the units listed on ebay I could rent a car for a couple weeks.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Yes, BOTH the ECM and TCM must be sent to PCM4Less to be tuned. Otherwise you will have a great running engine with a trans the shifts like stock or a awesome shifting trans and a stock engine. You'll only be getting half a tune if you send only 1 in.

For your truck since you have a V8 you need to look more at their fullsize truck or V8 car tuning and not at I6 stuff. As for E40 part numbers, it shouldnt matter at all because it will be reflashed with your VIN and OS. T42 are the same, just dont get an 09+ (weird issues with reflashing an 08 T42 with an 09 OS and vice versa).

You should be looking at about $200 for a new set of E40/T42 cores, at least I know where you can get them for that price. Also the E40 is rarer than say the E67 or E38 because it was only used for 05 and 06 and therefore costs more. I will be buying an E67/T42 set for my SS over the summer, think its about $170 shipped for both brand new.

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info

Thank you for the info, again this forum has been a great source of knowledge so I don't have to waste money in the wrong place or on the wrong stuff.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Thank you for the info, again this forum has been a great source of knowledge so I don't have to waste money in the wrong place or on the wrong stuff.
No prob man, Ive tried to learn as much as I can about tuning and share my knowledge. Thats what IMO makes learning about and talking about our rides great, sharing knowledge and tips/tricks.

Let us know how the tune works out, believe me you will LOVE it! I cant wait to tune my SS, Envoy Fan (Bill)'s 05 Voy picked up something like +40hp/+50tq with a Vector tune and a CAI, thats insane!

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
wants tune also

just curious any suggestions other trial errors just alittle help to decide on the tune what benifits have you seen just alittle extra to convince wife makes life easier lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts