Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago, my rear hatch wouldn't open. I was about to take it to my friend's body shop, as I was really close, but at the next stop -- it worked. After talking to him about it, he told me that it had to be the locks, as they were electrical, as the linkage was manual. I really didn't use the rear hatch much, and noticed it worked intermittently (would work some times). Now, it hasn't worked for a while, and I realized the rear wiper did not work, either.

I'm very mechanical, have done my share of work on cars, but really complex electrical systems (2003 LTZ, pretty much everything...) kind of scare me.

I figured it was a fuse, but I checked the fuse box (in the engine compartment) and they were all good. I see something about a "rear" fuse box? Where is it? Is there anything else it could be?

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
First off, welcome to the group! :tiphat

Second, check the wiring that passes through the rubber boot between the cabin and the lift gate. Sometimes wires can get pinched/broken/damaged from all the flexing. A good number of members have had the same problem, which was fixed when they repaired a wire there.

If those wires are OK, then it could be an issue with the lift gate control module, or actuator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get the door open

I can't get the gate to open - I removed a plug, and thought I could manually open, but it appears to be locked.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Pulled this from the Owners Manual, did you try steps 2 and 3?

Emergency Release for Opening Liftgate
1. Remove the trim plug to expose the access hole in the trim panel. The access hole is located on the inside of the liftgate in the center.
2. Use a tool to reach through the access hole in the trim panel.
3. Pry the left release lever up to the unlock position. Pry the right release lever up to unlatch the liftgate.
4. Reattach the trim plug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Open!

That worked to get the door open. Where is this rear fuse box?

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
That worked to get the door open. Where is this rear fuse box?
Under the rear seat, driver's side under the plastic cover. If your fuses are all OK, check the wiring in the rubber boot next.

Edit: Fuses aren't going to cause intermittent issues, so I'd check the wiring in between the cabin and lift gate first.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
:iagree: Very often the wires break from excessive flexing inside the insulation, and it's hidden by the rubber boot, near the liftgate hinges. Poor GM design.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Im having a similar issue, except mine are flat out dead and so is the rear wiper. Pulled everything apart and checked for power at the liftgate module (LGM) and everything has power. So Im thinking the module is gone, checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes, pulled the related fuses and pulled battery power for more than an hour (doing work on the engine).

Any suggestions here or do I need to buy an LGM off eBay and have the dealer program it? I dont know anything about the LGM, the PCM is my speciality area. Any part numbers I should get?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts