Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2006 Envoy with 90K. Started three weeks ago.
1.) Went out to car sitting for three hours wouldn't start. Cold outside. Started for 1/2 second then dies, turned over strong for atempted restart, all electrical worked. Waited 15 mins tried again. Nothing. Waited another 15 mins. Cranks right up.
2.) One Week later. Not cold out. Pulled into gas station after 1/2 hr commute. Filled with gas wouldn't start. Started for 1/2 second then dies, Turned over strong again at restart attempt, all electrical worked. Waited ten mintues cranked right up.
Took to Mechanic: No codes, everything works he says. Put grease from harness to computer thinking connection.
3.) Two weeks later. Not cold at all out. Ran into store for twenty minutes. Samething. Waited 15mins tried, samething, waited 15 mins tried smaething. Left to get towed. Next morning the mechanic started never towed.
Mechanic that drove to shop: Let run two hours. Started all day for him. He felt no vapor lock, checked fuses, power to fuel pump, best guess crank sensor. Did nothing to fix because couldn't repeat.
4.) Two and one half weeks later went to start first think in the garage one morning. Samething. Waited one hour. Cranked right up.
Took to Mechanic: He says unless they can get it to repeat hard to diagnosis.

Never cuts off driving. So far have yet to pay a towing bill but it's coming and sure once it gets to shop it'll start.

Any help out there?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
365 Posts
I've been having this issue as well, but not that frequently. When you say "it doesn't start" do you mean it won't crank at all or cranks but engine does not start?

The issue I have been having is it will crank but the engine will not start. This almost always happens after the truck has been running for a while and is shut off briefly, (~5 mins.) then restarted. Upon restarting, it will crank but not start. What I have noticed is that the coolant temp gauge reads ZERO when attempting the restart. I can give it a little gas and it will eventually start, run rough for a few seconds then try to idle high as if the engine were cold. Then, all of a sudden, the temp gauge jumps to ~210* and the engine runs perfect.

I have checked the wiring to the coolant temp sensor and all looks good and free of corrosion. The connector looks good as well. I will most likely end up replacing the sensor. I think I will go ahead and replace the thermostat as well (152k miles on the clock) while I'm in the area.

I thought this might be helpful as I am reading a lot of posts lately concerning random no-start issues.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cranks very strong just won't start. I will start paying more attention to the instrument board when this occurs. I would say that mine doesn't even run rough for more then a second then idles just as it should. Runs great if it starts.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neelskit,
I finally got it to do it at the house this weekend by chance where I could do some self investigation in the light and not freezing. Appears that the issue with mine was that one of the Grey Tyco fuses had backed out of the fuse box under the hood making for a poor connection. Long story story - I pressed all the fuses and this one moved. Car cranked immediately. Removed fuse and car did exactly what it had been doing when I get stranded. Cost $0. How this fuse came loose being I drive roadways only unknown. Oddly enough it started one week after going in to the dealer ship for faulty oil gage sensor. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well back to the frustration. The car did it again two days later. Fuse had backed out alittle so went and bought a new fuse and put that in. Then yesterday after thirty minute commute it did it again. Cranks strong but no starting. Tried old fuse and new fuse. Beat on fuse box, cranks strong, no starting. Ten minutes later started after I just touched all wires I could see. I'm about to go crazy with this. I believe it's got something to do with a loose connection, fuse box or ignition.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Been working fine for five days since fix below. I finally got the car to repeat for mechanic and correct itself by tapping on the fuse box which more or less indicated this was the area of problem. Had mechanic tear into fuse box. One of the connections interior of box showed signs of spark damage. The mechanic looked around and tested lots and ended up just replacing the metal connection in fuse box only. Cost was mechanic time only due to he had a spare part lying around. If you don't hear back hopefully its fixed and it was just a poor connection.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
316 Posts
Been working fine for five days since fix below. I finally got the car to repeat for mechanic and correct itself by tapping on the fuse box which more or less indicated this was the area of problem. Had mechanic tear into fuse box. One of the connections interior of box showed signs of spark damage. The mechanic looked around and tested lots and ended up just replacing the metal connection in fuse box only. Cost was mechanic time only due to he had a spare part lying around. If you don't hear back hopefully its fixed and it was just a poor connection.

Which fuse did you replace? Also check and see if any of the relays are defective in the Ignition circuit for ex: Ignition Relay, Fuel Pump Relay etc.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts