Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
gmc envoy_slt_xl
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a 2002 GMC Envoy Slt and I have yet to drive it in winter. I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experiences how it handles? I plan on moving up to Marquette soon and lord knows they have some harsh winters. Is there anything I should do to make it handle better? Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
59 Posts
I have an 08 envoy 4wd slt with stabilitrak/traction control running good year assurance fuel max tires. Non-locking rear end. My first 4wd and i was impressed. We had a freak snow storm that dropped 26" according the my yard stick i measured with in the back yard. Used a push broom to sweep the snow off and drove right out. My street was not plowed yet and i tried to do 15mph but so much snow was flying over the hood that i had to slow down to 5mph.

This is a few days after the 26" snow fall. Some of it melted. I went for a ride around the lake. Was driving in some one elses tracks until i got to this hill. They obviously could not make it up. I went up with no loss of traction.

At the top of the hill.

My tracks on the way out. Just deep enough to touch the bottom of the truck. 9-10" maybe.

We also had some freezing rain with snow on top of a layer of ice. I went out for a drive to see how the truck handled. It did great with stabilitrak enabled. I turned the stabilitrak and traction control off and it did ok but it got loose in one turn and i stayed in the gas while trying to straighten it out and it was more challenging than i thought it would be. Almost put it in a ditch. That being said, drive safely, conservatively, with good judgment and it handles just fine. Remember that just because you can move and go forward and reverse does not mean that you can also stop.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,577 Posts
Make sure your transfer case fluid is changed every 50K miles and use only GM AutoTrak II fluid. Make sure you have good AT or winter tires.

Don't use A4WD mode, it puts a strain on the driveline and can under certain conditions cause loss of control.

Have fun in the snow!!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
31 Posts
If you happen to have G80 on your glove box sticker, you have the eaton locker, which when activated, makes your truck a true 3-wheel drive (I don't think the front differential locks in any circumstances) as opposed to the open differentials which make your 4 wheel drive a 2 wheel drive (or 1 wheel drive, if not in 4x4). I have the G80, and with decent winter tires, can easily make it up hills that I probably shouldn't come down in snow. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts