Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old man was looking at getting either a trailblazer or and envoy. Couple of questions he has are: Do either of them come with an allison trans; if so which ones.

In your opinion, if any differences in the motor what seems to break most often cause the overall cost in the long run to be higher.

What advantages if any does one have over the other.

I'm keeping this pretty basic for a reason, that being he doesn't know what year he's going to get, covering the range of 02-08.

anything good or bad about either would be great.

A few things to know is that he does hall a boat very frequently on 200mi stretches. He also does a lot of off-roading during the fall months (driving, not mudding).

Thanks for your help guys n' gals!

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat .No Allison is available. The 4.2 I6 and the 5.3 V8 have the 4L60E trans. The SS has the 4L70E trans. The weight of the boat could be a determining factor. Look for a 3.73 gear. Also the G80 locking diff. will be a plus for slippery launch ramps.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
things that 'break'--- fan clutch- almost everyone gets the fan clutch replaced.
But as for the engine itself.... its a pretty strong engine...
Treat it well and it will go on and on...
In my 147,500 miles...
Ive replaced the fan clutch, water pump, thermostat.
And I lost 3rd gear in the tranny around 77,000.

The engine itself has been great.

Ive done regular preventive maintenace-- around 100K - new shocks, new plugs, bled brakes, changed fluids in rear end, tranny,

around 132,000 I changed the radiator hoses, fuel pump, sway bar endlinks.

alot of the stuff at 100K and 132K were done simply because of mileage.... not because it was causing the vehicle to run bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.