Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Buick Rainier CXL , 2004 GMC Envoy SLT - crushed (by a tree and not me)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Thule J kayak cradles from my old truck that I know do not fit the factory Trailblazer/Envoy roof rack.

I did not want to order a whole new rack setup as I like the J hooks. So I modified the existing way they attached. Replaced the underside bracket with black stock steel to help if the lean. I used two existing holes in the J cradles and mounted them to the factory crossbars by drilling 2 holes in the bars for each J cradle.

But what I also did was do to the local Pick-N-Pull and got 2 factory cross bars to modify for the mount so i was not drilling in my original ones. As removing the crossbars on a Trailblazer/Envoy takes less than 5 minutes and only requires a flat blade screw drive to remove the plastic trim in front. They cost me $15 and had the flat stock and black paint already in the garage.

Will post a pictures as this may not make sense till you see it. But looks good on a test fit and will test RT this weekend on a 90 mile trip each way for the Memorial Day weekend.

·
Registered
2006 Buick Rainier CXL , 2004 GMC Envoy SLT - crushed (by a tree and not me)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I never posted pictures... but this modification worked well for the past three summers. I do use part of a large fun noodle to help support the center of the factory cross bars, so they do not sag too much under the weight of the 2 - 10 ft - sit in kayaks, transported 90 mile trips each way to Adirondacks, several times each summer without issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts