Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Buick Rainier CXL , 2004 GMC Envoy SLT - crushed (by a tree and not me)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Thule J kayak cradles from my old truck that I know do not fit the factory Trailblazer/Envoy roof rack.

I did not want to order a whole new rack setup as I like the J hooks. So I modified the existing way they attached. Replaced the underside bracket with black stock steel to help if the lean. I used two existing holes in the J cradles and mounted them to the factory crossbars by drilling 2 holes in the bars for each J cradle.

But what I also did was do to the local Pick-N-Pull and got 2 factory cross bars to modify for the mount so i was not drilling in my original ones. As removing the crossbars on a Trailblazer/Envoy takes less than 5 minutes and only requires a flat blade screw drive to remove the plastic trim in front. They cost me $15 and had the flat stock and black paint already in the garage.

Will post a pictures as this may not make sense till you see it. But looks good on a test fit and will test RT this weekend on a 90 mile trip each way for the Memorial Day weekend.

·
Registered
2006 Buick Rainier CXL , 2004 GMC Envoy SLT - crushed (by a tree and not me)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I never posted pictures... but this modification worked well for the past three summers. I do use part of a large fun noodle to help support the center of the factory cross bars, so they do not sag too much under the weight of the 2 - 10 ft - sit in kayaks, transported 90 mile trips each way to Adirondacks, several times each summer without issue.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm. I've got pixs of a canoe rack I built for a 1989 Isuzu Amigo.

Will that help?

I didn't think so .........................

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ravali, not sure where you're coming from; I just wanted to see some picks of the dude's roof rack. I just picked up an envoy a couple months ago and its my first SUV, I've had plenty of cars before but never one with so much damn space lol. Planning on taking it camping/road-trippin so im curious how he got canoes/kayaks up there. If you do have pics of your Isuzu, send em over!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I was just greening ya..... ignore me....

·
Registered
634 Posts
... but since ya asked...
and I have NO IDEA why they double posted..... I tried to delete one of each, but that isn't available on this engine.

The canoe is a 13-6 , one person, river style canoe, in that it is the same beam all the way down along the sides to go between rocks and not get hung up with a lake style wide beam.

This rack has no holes in the body nor does it use any support but from the rear area in existing hold down bolt holes. It is cantilevered over the hood and cab and does not touch any exterior painted surface.

Pictures taken at Clark Canyon Lake, MT .... where I will NEVER GO AGAIN!
100_2625.JPG
100_2598.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
yooooo, thats pretty damn sweet! you even gave it a ramp! hahaha
never seen an truck like that one, looks like someone just smushed an Avalanche XD
nice mod man, im sure you've enjoyed it plenty

·
Registered
634 Posts
Actually, that Isuzu is for sale - maybe with or without the canoe rack. This is a very rare model - it came from The Philippine Islands, direct import from Japan - and although they were sold stateside - this particular model was a short run for Isuzu.

The paint is 1959 Porsche Bathtub Racer red - which really is a deep orange.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
277 Posts
Actually, that Isuzu is for sale - maybe with or without the canoe rack. This is a very rare model - it came from The Philippine Islands, direct import from Japan - and although they were sold stateside - this particular model was a short run for Isuzu.

The paint is 1959 Porsche Bathtub Racer red - which really is a deep orange.
What year is that Isuzu ? Looks like maybe late 80s early 90s .IDK ... just guessing .

·
Registered
634 Posts
1989 ...

·
Registered
634 Posts
What I'd REALLY like to do is slip a Toyota 4x4 chassis/engine underneath the Isuzu body. Maybe even an S10, 4x4 would fit too. I grow weary of now it needs a clutch (which I have in a box), an exhaust manifold (of which I have 2, one still in a box - the other untouched by human hands - only mine) and somewhat unobtanium parts for a mongrel vehicle.

I have many, many happy miles on it in many western states and Montana... mostly California, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado and Nevada..... but my TB has generally replaced it with greater creature comfort and reliability.

Never driven in winter in Montana, therefore no salt damage anywhere!

If the right person comes along and wants it intact with free parts I mentioned.... so be it.

Covid-19 price is $1500.00. Otherwise $3000.00.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts