·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
458 Posts
yeah i almost bought a nearly new 4cyl izuzu copy of the colorado. Thankfully gas went down so i made the right choice.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well:duh: i looked at that wiki page before too, never saw it. lol, still funny that a non gm company has such look alikes:bonk:

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
i wonder, but isuzu isn't listed on gm's website
This should clear things up.

Isuzu Motors America, Inc.
January 30, 2008
Isuzu Motors America, Inc. announced today that effective January 31, 2009, it would discontinue distributing new Isuzu passenger vehicles in North America. The discontinuation of passenger vehicles results from the prospective cessation of production by General Motors Corporation of the Ascender Sport Utility Vehicle, and the i-290 and i-370 pickup trucks.
Although Isuzu will cease supplying passenger vehicles in North America, "we are fully committed to continue providing service support to our customer base and Dealers for years to come" said Terry Maloney, President/COO. Isuzu will continue to honor all product warranties and roadside assistance programs and will maintain its owner-relations call center. In addition, to assure long-term service to its customers, Isuzu will be offering all current, U.S. Isuzu vehicle dealers the opportunity to continue on as service dealerships for Isuzu. "Let me make it crystal clear, Isuzu will discontinue the sales of vehicles only. Our parts and service operation will remain fully functional. We expect the vast majority of our dealers will continue to service our loyal Isuzu customers."
Should you have any questions, please call our Isuzu Hotline at 1-800-255-6727

http://www.isuzu.com/company-articles/consumer-internet-release.jsp

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
You can use the ascender tail lights to work for the Envoy! It has been done just need to do some re wiring!!

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
so is isuzu stopping production because of a design similarity and conflict with gm?
Isuzu never produced them at all. They were produced at GM's Moraine Assembly Plant just like the Trailblazer, Envoys, Saab 9-7x, etc. Isuzu had a limited partership with GM that has now ceased.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm, never knew isuzu had partnership with gm, i've seen the vehicles, but never knew this. You learn something new everyday.:D

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Remember the Chev LUV from the '70s? GM/Chev need a small (mini) truck and it was quicker to buy one from someone else.
At that time, gm purchased a piece of Isuzu (25 maybe 35%).
In later years, around 2000, gm increased it's %. They now own 49%. Why, because Isuzu had diesel smarts that gm wanted. I believe Isuzu engineered the Duramax engine (maybe even supplies the engine).
Do they still own 49%, IDK, in the last year they may have cut back.

hmmm, just found a news report, dated 2006. Cash strapped GM sells all but 8% of Isuzu, also all but 3% of Suzuki and the complete 20% it held of Subaru.

·
Banned
18 Posts
I always thought they looked like the ugly stepsister of the Trailblazer. To put such an ugly front fascia on an otherwise great truck is baffling. The fact that people actually bought them..........well.....:hopeless.what did PT Barnum say............

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
The Ascender isn't a copycat, it is built on the same platform and in the same assembly plant as the other GMT-360 trucks. The Colorado was designed in cahoots with Isuzu which is why it is so different from any other GM truck.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Thats what I meant, it's a rebadged version of the same truck like the Envoy/TrailBlazer/Rainier/Bravada/9-7x

More badge (or re-badge) engineering.

·
Banned
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
888 Posts
Just like the early to mid 90's corolla was the same thing as the geo prizm. Same with the corolla and nova from the lat 80's. Same goes with the Hombre.

Funny thing i bet alot of people dont know is the new VW van is a rebadged chrysler/dodge caravan.

Companies do it all the time, it just makes more sense when the companies are owned by the same people. Im still scratching my head on the honda engine in the saturn.

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
403 Posts
I always thought they looked like the ugly stepsister of the Trailblazer. To put such an ugly front fascia on an otherwise great truck is baffling. The fact that people actually bought them..........well.....:hopeless.what did PT Barnum say............
i had the choice of trailblazer,,ascender.thought the ascender was way better looking, to each there own..plus got much better warranty with isuzu

1 - 20 of 22 Posts