Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

The timing chain snapped on my 2003 envoy and cracked a cylinder. It will be missed. I will be trading it in for a 2004 subaru wrx sti. Thanks for all the help!

:thx

·
Registered
71 Posts
The whole Cylinder? Or the Piston? :eek:

Well by reading you'll get a Subaru,what can i do to make you dump a new engine on Envoy's Shaft? :dielaugh:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I never understood the idea of "that repair is so expensive I'm forced to trade it".

A replacement engine might be $2000-4000, depending on what you put in and who turns the wrenches.

When you trade it in, they're going to give you at least $2000-4000 LESS for it. You may lose big time because the dealer now has the annoyance value of doing the repair or dumping it to the auction circuit.

Is it because it's easier to buy and finance a different vehicle, and tough to finance the repair cost, even if it would ultimately cost you less?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
And what his mileage was! - This is NOT a problem can recall anyone else having. Some timing chains, while more durable than a belt, do fail from time to time. Many late 70s early 80s vehicles used nylong gear teach that would wear, dry and crack over time, but the I6 uses a high strength all steel setup that's lubricated by engine oil.

Just a FYI on that Subaru, unless its the 3.0 or newest 2.0 it most likely has a timing belt. Just make sure to replace it regularly at the specified intervals or the motor won't last as long as the Envoy's did. Don't get me wrong, I like the Subies and nearly bought won back in '01 before buying my Envoy. Just pointing out that most of them use a rubber belt that needs periodic replacement.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,029 Posts
Hey all,

The timing chain snapped on my 2003 envoy and cracked a cylinder. :thx
If you mean cracked cylinder as in cracked sleeve then that's a simple enough fix with the engine still in the vehicle. No need to go extreme and just dump it on the side of the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts