Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on my '05 TB EXT LS 4WD with 256,000 miles. Sometimes, when I hit a bump while driving, be it a bump in the road, railroad tracks, etc., there is a horrendous rumble/vibration that sounds like my whole front end is going to fall apart. Sometimes it lasts for half a second, and sometimes it lasts for a few seconds (the worst I had was about 4-5 seconds). It will than go away and drive smooth like it never happened. I just replaced sway bar link thinking it was that. It is actually very occasional. It only happens every few days (its a daily driver). The only thing I can think of even close to that, is when I was replacing the wheel bearings last week, I noticed a lot of play (0.5-1" in all directions) where the passenger CV axle goes into the axle disconnect assembly. I wonder if when I hit a bump, it lets that CV shaft up a little and it centrifuges the tripot on the shaft around causing the rumble/vibration. It seems to happen more often at higher speeds but I have had it happen when going 20 mph over railroad tracks but it seemed to match the vehicle speed relatively. The only other thing I would think of is a motor mount. anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,140 Posts
I don't know about this causing the noise you are hearing, but having that much play at the half axle going into the disconnect is not normal. You need to get in there and inspect, and repair as necessary.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
75 Posts
It is advisable to replace the entire suspension. You can get an entire 16 piece front end suspension package from Detroit Axle off of Amazon for $500 and change.

Thankfully, my mechanic said he would install this whole package for me. So, I ordered the whole front and rear suspension and the front hubs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The bearing in the front diff can wear out and let the half shaft bounce up and down a lot on bumps. Usually if you let off as soon as it vibrates it goes away.
I hate the front diff of these trucks, way too delicate and too many problems and needs too much maintenance and still maybe not perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts