Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I think I have been to every forum looking for a straight answer about tuning my 02 I6. Which way to go?? I see that there are chips you can buy. Some plug and play, some you have to dial in. Some only work on the engine, some tune the trans. I was told that a dyno shop can remap the existing computer. So whats a guy to do? Which way to go? Too many choises, not many answers.:grouphug:

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
1,069 Posts
Myself, I went with PCMforLess. Reason being? Many here recommended it, and it was simple. I went with the core program so I had a tuned PCM sent to me which I installed in about 5 mins, did the security learn ( myself, rally simple), then a case learn at the dealer, and it was done.

I kept my OEM PCM and in case I want to troubleshoot something I have my stocker to go back to, which I did use once and was amazed how much the tune really did to the truck to wake it up.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
:iagree: If you don't know how to tune a vehicle yourself with hptuners, or efilive, then defiantly go with pcmforless. They will give you your best bang for your buck. Stay away from the superchips and jetchips.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
There are about 100 variables that need to be held in balance for a successful tune of the I-6 engine with its PCM management system. Change any particular one and get it out of balance for the sake of a few more horsepower, and you have an un-drivable truck.

Remember, our Trailblazers are drive-by-wire, which means that the computer controls the throttle blade. Messing around with eBay chips that promise the world, but do little to accurately measure and manage the entire spectrum of the data tables built into the PCM makes an unsafe vehicle.

Guys suggest companies like PCM for Less because they have a proven tune that works well in the real world. Others recommend things like HP Tuner, which allows the home enthusiast to tune more specifically for certain applications, which may or may not be as wide-ranging in capability, but which may produce more horsepower. Costs go up with various means of tuning also.

For someone unable or unwilling to learn the ropes, spend the money, and have access to a dyno to test results would be best served by a purchased PCM re-flash like PCM for Less, Wester's, etc.

Add-on chips don't work well with our computers, as the computers re-learn and return to stock settings after a few drive loops.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
If you wish information then:
Do a search on:
Pcmforless
efilive
hptuners
jet chips
If I left things out of the list, then please add to it.
You need to do the research, it will not come to you......
PS: The search button is above, on the blue line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.