Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
chevy trailblazer_ltz
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI im pretty new here, but there seems to be alot good info, Iwas wondering what normal running temp should be on my 02 tb? I live ca and outside temps have been in the triple digits this week. My tb seems to run a little over the 210 mark normally, but with the ac on it climbs to about 225. Is this normal? Also i towed a trailer about 3000lbs awhile back and it did the same thing then, even though the outside temp was only about 80.

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Welcome!

How many miles do you have, and have you changed the coolant yet around 100K miles? The temp is usually locked right on 210, but the traditional parts that deteriorate are the fan clutch and the thermostat.

If you go to 225 on the gauge (and because the GM software people are lying to us by way of the gauge, the actual coolant temp is higher than that), with the AC on at less than 105 degrees ambient, there's a problem somewhere.

Do you see 225 while at idle in traffic, or at freeway speeds on flat terrain?

Are you using AC recirculate mode?

· Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,671 Posts
:iagree: I just went to the Arizona desert this week. I recently changed my thermostat, hoses and coolant. My needle stayed on 210 the whole trip - despite ambient temp. being 110.
This is climbing some long hills east of San Diego at 70 - 75 with both front and rear A/C on.

· Registered
12 Posts
Yep same probem here and mine will head into the 240's in a heartbeat as I tow 5000lbs.

I am convinced we have a programming or or some type of design error, our fans are not hitting max RPM when the engines start getting hot.

I am sick of the games, purchased a Flexalite 292 twin fan setup, will be installed in 2 days. 4600CFM design specifically to fit our trucks.

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
Got any more info on that fan?

No cel? And does it auto-cycle? Do you have to install a sensor in the coolant line?

So far I've only seen hack jobs, or expensive kits requiring a harness and ecu flash.

I would be very interested in going to efans.

· Registered
12 Posts
Check it out from their website for yourself. Nope its the real deal, I got mine for 500$ from Jegs. Comes with everything, yep an adjustable thermostat.

Most interesting, look at the installation direactions. Seems too easy but I am still having an off road shop install mine. gimmie a couple days and I will report back. their 292 is made specifically to fit our application.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/27inch-electric.html

· Registered
497 Posts
Did you Google for it?
nope. I'm on my iPhone. Internet on this thing isn't as good as people say. Don't get me wrong, it's good for a phone... But you can't perform productive research on it. I'll google it at home, for sure. Why be an ass for having a dialog on a product he already researched? That's the point of a forum, IMO -- share ideas and knowledge.

$500 for the Flex-a-lite 292 sounds like it's a couple of bucks. More than the ball joints you were so worried about.
nearly the same price once you factor labor/alignment. Two main differences: the balljoints were unexpected. I can plan for the fan. Secondly, there is concern over the cause of the balljoints failure, and I am worried that they will need constant replacement. That multiples the cost of the repair. The fan is a one-time expense.

And don't you worry about my financial situation. That is none of your business.

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
nope. I'm on my iPhone. Internet on this thing isn't as good as people say. Don't get me wrong, it's good for a phone... But you can't perform productive research on it.
Ahhhh. I get it better now. I see a raft of folks who COULD be searching suddenly not doing it, and didn't think they were handicapped like that by their phones.
The fan is a one-time expense.
Understood, and after I wasted all kinds of time and money evaluating the PCMforless solution, I'm finding myself advising against efans to many different audiences, especially offroaders. The only possible upside I saw to efans was a simple way to disable them during deep water crossings. We don't drag race, and saving 3-4 HP max wasn't a very good justification to spend $500, IMHO. You get much better bang for the mod buck out a tune.

· Registered
497 Posts
Understood, and after I wasted all kinds of time and money evaluating the PCMforless solution, I'm finding myself advising against efans to many different audiences, especially offroaders. The only possible upside I saw to efans was a simple way to disable them during deep water crossings. We don't drag race, and saving 3-4 HP max wasn't a very good justification to spend $500, IMHO. You get much better bang for the mod buck out a tune.
I find the water-crossing case compelling. Beyond that, there are mpg and acceleration gains to be had with efans, compared to mechanical. I agree that $500 is a bit steep... But what if your fan clutch breaks? Even using discount vendors, that is a spendy proposition... And efans would be a permanent solution with additional benefits, in that scenario.

I'm curious to get home and check out that product on my workstation. I'm wondering if we can't use a more traditional (and less expensive) kit with a component or two from this new product, I did a flex-a-lite dual efan on my Tacoma for under $250. It was nice starting the car in the morning without the nasty roar of a cold fan clutch. Lol.

And maybe it's my butt dyno being biased, but it felt more peppy off the line.

· Registered
chevy trailblazer_ltz
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just changed the coolant myself a couple of weeks ago. It has 107,00 on it now, but ive only had it for about 5,000 of that. If im reading the guage right, its gettting to about 220and it seems to level out there. This is a in town temp. But when i was towing before it ran about the same on the freeway.

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I find the water-crossing case compelling...
I used to think that until I went :duh: :duh: :duh: one day and realized I could just pull relay 45, fuse 20, or disconnect the fan harness. That disables the EV clutch enough for a water crossing.
But what if your fan clutch breaks?
Do you mean offroad or around town? I just carry a spare, purchased when I had a bigger budget getting ready for the 2008 Rubicon expedition. I was carrying some spares for both Teebes and me, like fan clutch, CV shafts, 4WD, headlight, and ignition switch. He had a spare front axle actuator and a dog. Lots of uses for a dog while you're tenting around 30 degrees. ;)

· Registered
497 Posts
I used to think that until I went :duh: :duh: :duh: one day and realized I could just pull relay 45, fuse 20, or disconnect the fan harness. That disables the EV clutch enough for a water crossing.
Good to know.

Do you mean offroad or around town? I just carry a spare, purchased when I had a bigger budget getting ready for the 2008 Rubicon expedition. I was carrying some spares for both Teebes and me, like fan clutch, CV shafts, 4WD, headlight, and ignition switch. He had a spare front axle actuator and a dog. Lots of uses for a dog while you're tenting around 30 degrees. ;)
My point is for the rest of us -- who don't have a spare fan clutch... You argued price as a "con" of the efans. I'm saying that the mechanical fans seem to go bad frequently in these vehicles... and they're expensive to replace. So if you have a bad clutch, it's a good opportunity to divert those funds to an efan, instead. Better product, permanent solution, not much more, and extra features.

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
$150 isn't a bad price to find a fan clutch, and I don't pay a mechanic, so that's not part of the equation. I really, really wanted the LS1 efans solution to work, as Alvin said they were "overkill" for our application. Sadly, the LS1 efans I had were much poorer for CFM than the stock fan. If Flexalite has one with better CFM, and it works for nyryan2001 while he's towing heavy and hot, that's a new data point. Not sure I want to get burned again, so I'm not going to be an early adopter of this one. I've paid my dues being among the first on a dozen other mods, not all of which panned out.

· Registered
12 Posts
except a new fan clutch didnt fix my problem cuz its a flawed setup. Why else are so many running hot? the computers, fan clutch WHATEVER do not kick the fan up into high gear when it should. And yep that is with a brand new fan clutch.

Well this is where we are at. the FLEXalite 292 fit the radiator perfectly, but would NOT allow reinstallation of the computer! Missing about 3/4" of clearance to lock it back into its bracket. No GO. So I would have had to do some jerry rig and I wasnt about to do that.

So I had to send the 292 back and the the 410. Now this one only sucks 2500CFM. they installed it today and ran it for about 20 mins and said it runs great. We'll see.

you guys think 2500CFM will be enough for a 5.3l? Gotta be better than next to no CFM what the OEM fan was pulling in low gear as engine temps hit 240.
If it is still hot, I can add two 12" circular flex a lite fans as pushers in the front of the radiator bringing me up to 4000 or so.

· Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
899 Posts
except a new fan clutch didnt fix my problem cuz its a flawed setup. Why else are so many running hot? the computers, fan clutch WHATEVER do not kick the fan up into high gear when it should. And yep that is with a brand new fan clutch.

Well this is where we are at. the FLEXalite 292 fit the radiator perfectly, but would NOT allow reinstallation of the computer! Missing about 3/4" of clearance to lock it back into its bracket. No GO. So I would have had to do some jerry rig and I wasnt about to do that.

So I had to send the 292 back and the the 410. Now this one only sucks 2500CFM. they installed it today and ran it for about 20 mins and said it runs great. We'll see.

you guys think 2500CFM will be enough for a 5.3l? Gotta be better than next to no CFM what the OEM fan was pulling in low gear as engine temps hit 240.
If it is still hot, I can add two 12" circular flex a lite fans as pushers in the front of the radiator bringing me up to 4000 or so.

Excuse for barging in here, have you looked at the threads talking about efans ?

I've designed one that works really, even another here member picked it up and now sells kits, i have sold a few here and got nothing but praise so far, the ls1 fans are quite capable fans and after seeing a 292 in action on a s10,
i think they are better than the 292's

I know the Roadie had one installed, and I still think he had a bad one, the kit that he had purchased was not one of mine and used a different controller than the one i currently use

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.