Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
First time poster but I've been lurking for a while. I'm wanting to swap a 4200 into an 87 Jeep Wrangler, my plans are to convert the jeep to 2wd, lower it a little, install the 4200 and turbo it with an auto trans. My questions are which year engine and harness to use. I want to use stock internals on the engine so boost will be around 8-10 psi. Which year will be the easiest to tune for the turbo install? Who is recommending for tuning? And what else will I need beside the engine, trans, ecu and harnessfor the basic install?
Thanks in advance, Al

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
628 Posts
Hi & welcome

Not meaning to throw a wet rag on your project, but why a 4200?

I'd go with either the Jeep 4.0 or a GM LS engine.

I love GMs, but I think that for having to go through all the hassles of an engine swap I'd like an engine with a better reputation for longevity and flat out performance. The LS engines have proven themselves over and over at the track. A good 5.3 or 6.0 can be had for under $1000 in most locations and with just a cam change and tune are good for over 400 hp.

I'm in the middle of a 6.0 swap into a Cherokee.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know where your coming from. I have an 04 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 that has been stroked to a 4.7 that is putting out better than 300 ft pounds of torque and have built a 5.0 ford Wrangler. Everyone and brother is doing an Ls around here so I want something different. I want to do the 4200 just from what I've read about them and the power that can be made.
Thanks, Al

·
Registered
2006 gmc trailblazer_ls
39 Posts
I know where your coming from. I have an 04 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 that has been stroked to a 4.7 that is putting out better than 300 ft pounds of torque and have built a 5.0 ford Wrangler. Everyone and brother is doing an Ls around here so I want something different. I want to do the 4200 just from what I've read about them and the power that can be made.
Thanks, Al
Meh. the 4200 is an abortion clinic. Why stray from the proven. Ls swap is almost a no brainer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
628 Posts
I'm all for making your own trail, but to what end. The 4200 is a strong runner, when it's running. From what I've seen it's not worth the effort of an engine swap just to be unique and have a boat load of troubles.

The LS swaps are proven and their is support and swap parts readily available.

But, which ever way you go keep us undated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea of being different. Go to a car show and what do you see? Most likely it's going to be a v8 whether it an ls or 5.0. And as I said earlier they're pretty much a dime a dozen around hear. Not trying to be a pain but this is the route I have decided to go, I just need a little guidance.
Thanks, Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts