Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '07 is probably getting a new engine. I'm thinking mainly about getting it all hooked back up. Should I pull the trans with the engine or leave it in?

Also I'm reading that I need an 06-07 engine to be compatible, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I swapped my engine in my 2006 Envoy I left the transmission in. Mine is 4WD and so it was a extra work to disconnect the front axles but not much choice given the axle goes through the Engine oil pan.
Sorry but I am not sure if you have to get a '06-'07 engine or not. It seems like the ECM was either different pr programmed differently based on the years that are being sold on eBay. They all seem to go up to 2005 and then others being sold as 2006 and up, but honestly who knows if those sellers have a clue. I wish I had more info for you. Good luck with the swap!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure about the ECM issue. I had to rebuild my MIL's 2008 Enoy and all I did was disconnect the torque converter from the fly wheel and the bell housing bolts so the transmission just needs to be supported with jack stands. This is easier if the cylinder head is removed because there are two bolts on the top that are practically impossible to get to otherwise. It was a daunting task for a first-timer but with patience you will do fine. Like freenet_2k stated above, the most difficult part is getting underneath the vehicle to remove the oil pan which the front axle goes through (probably the most horrific design in all of mechanical things I have ever seen, and I've been working on military aircraft for 25 years). There is a frame member underneath that has to be removed and it made it easier to remove the rack & pinion as well. I didn't pull the front differential completely out but I did move it to the side and bungee it out of the way. Pulling the left and right drive shafts off of the vehicle gives you much needed room to get to the rack & pinion nuts. I will be checking back to see if you have any questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts