Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, recently I have been considering swapping out my LH6 5.3 for something a little different...i was thinking an LS2, but i think anything over $4500 is out of what i am willing to pay. Would an Ls2 fit in my Ext. 4x4 alright or would it be a hopeless cause?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
179 Posts
Anything is possible, if you have the time and money. The engine itself, is a couple of grand atleast. Also, you will have to swap out the ECM, for the one that runs the LS2. You might also need a new transmission, I'm not exactly sure, if the transmission on the 5.3L is equipped to handle approximately another 90 horsepower. You could do it, but I do not see why you would want to seeing that the LH6 is a reliable and great engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so are you saying that I shouldn't do this mod if I have a 2005? The 2005 and 2006 are almost the exact same though I thought...

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
Okay, so are you saying that I shouldn't do this mod if I have a 2005? The 2005 and 2006 are almost the exact same though I thought...
No, I'm saying if you do it, stay with a 2006 or older LS2. Model year 2007 LS2 did some changes that have to be done internally to the motor to get it to work properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh okay, i apologize for that haha. well I figured I would use a donor LS2 from an SS. I was also considering a LS2 from a 2005 GTO...but Im not sure if my 4 Speed in the blazer would handle it anyways...

·
Registered
2003 chevy
1 Posts
sorry guys, little lost.....

Sorry guys, little confused, fairly new to tb's....I have an 2003 EXT Northface Edition, 4.2L I6 motor, 4x4, 155k miles.... still running well...recently the drive has become a little bland...I would sell or trade but I'm a family man, so I often use the 3rd row...Contemplating a swap to a bigger motor with less miles...love the LS2 motor in friends AWD TB SS...basically looking to increase HP and still use 4x4....What motor,tranny,wiring harness, and rear would be best?

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Sorry guys, little confused, fairly new to tb's....I have an 2003 EXT Northface Edition, 4.2L I6 motor, 4x4, 155k miles.... still running well...recently the drive has become a little bland...I would sell or trade but I'm a family man, so I often use the 3rd row...Contemplating a swap to a bigger motor with less miles...love the LS2 motor in friends AWD TB SS...basically looking to increase HP and still use 4x4....What motor,tranny,wiring harness, and rear would be best?
Welcome man!

Do a search, it isnt practical. How much $$ do you want to drop on a V8 swap? Going to need a built transmission (~$2500), complete wiring harness for a V8, motor mounts, PCM tuning.

Honestly Id recommend looking into finding an EXT with the 5.3 already then upgrade that, its the wiring thats an issue. Lots of people have come on here ready to pull the trigger on a V8 swap. Then they see the price tag is looking north of 7k just to MAYBE have it work.

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
still use 4x4...
The SS has on demand 4wd and so 4hi and 4lo aren't available. I have the same system in my Rainier and we use it to its full extent but the inability to lock it in makes it not a true 4x4. There are lots of SS out there for only 20k or so. I'm betting with 4$ gas they even drop lower. I admire you guys always talking about swapping. If I even open the hood, I'm neglecting the family according to my wife. My swap would be drive to dealer, trade in Rainier, drive out with SS, sob a little with each fillup.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
The SS has on demand 4wd and so 4hi and 4lo aren't available. I have the same system in my Rainier and we use it to its full extent but the inability to lock it in makes it not a true 4x4.
Sorry, not quite. The AWD system the SS and 9-7X Aero is unique to those 2 trucks. Bravada/Rainier/regular 9-7Xs have on demand AWD because the front axle is only partially engaged unless the rear is slipping. The SS/Aero system is a Torsen T-3 center differential that is always moving power back and forth with a normal torque split of 33/67 fr/rr and the ability to go to 45/55 to 25/75.

The thing the SS/Aero system and the Bravy/Rainier system is they both power 4 wheels and can move power, the methods by which this is accomplished are very different and significantly impact how each truck drives.

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
Sorry, not quite. The AWD system the SS and 9-7X Aero is unique to those 2 trucks. Bravada/Rainier/regular 9-7Xs have on demand AWD because the front axle is only partially engaged unless the rear is slipping. The SS/Aero system is a Torsen T-3 center differential that is always moving power back and forth with a normal torque split of 33/67 fr/rr and the ability to go to 45/55 to 25/75.

The thing the SS/Aero system and the Bravy/Rainier system is they both power 4 wheels and can move power, the methods by which this is accomplished are very different and significantly impact how each truck drives.
Good point. It sounds more like a Subaru's set up. None the less, I suppose at the end of the day it is still AWD not true 4wd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.