Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing what other peoples opinions are, but i have been thinking about swapping my 5.3 for a 6.0 in my 07 Denali, or throwing in a nice cam in my 5.3. i know the 6.0 make more power in the long run, but if my engine would be just good for it, i wouldnt want to do a whole engine swap.

i tow my boat everynow and then, i dont race, but do like to use my right foot from time to time, so more power is nice. already have an airaide cai, and magnaflow muffler. just debating on getting a programmer or pcmforless tune with a cam, vs building a nice 6.0.

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
63 Posts
Engine swap seems like a lot of work and cost for an extra 75hp, assuming you made 15 or so with your current mods. Which means you're probably going to want to improve the 6.0 before you put it in. Wouldn't hurt to replace the trans too.

Lots of internal work you can do, and there are a few forced induction options too. Real question is how fast do you really want to go, is 400hp going to be enough? 500? Much higher than that and it'll get difficult to use it as a tow car. The other question is how much are you willing to spend on this idea, which will determine how you want to proceed. Swapping a cam into a 5.3 is a lot cheaper than an engine and trans swap.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
492 Posts
Engine swap seems like a lot of work and cost for an extra 75hp, assuming you made 15 or so with your current mods. Which means you're probably going to want to improve the 6.0 before you put it in. Wouldn't hurt to replace the trans too.

Lots of internal work you can do, and there are a few forced induction options too. Real question is how fast do you really want to go, is 400hp going to be enough? 500? Much higher than that and it'll get difficult to use it as a tow car. The other question is how much are you willing to spend on this idea, which will determine how you want to proceed. Swapping a cam into a 5.3 is a lot cheaper than an engine and trans swap.
how much difference will a cam make if he installs it into a 5.3?

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
63 Posts
Depends a lot on the cam he uses, but since he's looking to keep towing with it I'd imagine it'd be fairly mild. With his current mods included he could get around 50-60 more peak hp than stock out of a cam swap without going nuts. More than that is possible though you start really sacrificing on-road manners. There's hundreds of pages of good information on some of the truck and LS forums if the OP is really interested in swapping out the camshaft.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends a lot on the cam he uses, but since he's looking to keep towing with it I'd imagine it'd be fairly mild. With his current mods included he could get around 50-60 more peak hp than stock out of a cam swap without going nuts. More than that is possible though you start really sacrificing on-road manners. There's hundreds of pages of good information on some of the truck and LS forums if the OP is really interested in swapping out the camshaft.
Thanks for some info, im looking for around 400, no more than 450hp, due to i drive it everyday, and the cost of gas. i know if i do a mild cam, ill need to program it, if not do a lil bigger injector. just dont want to be getting 10 mpgs or anything crazy bad, i get 16 now and its nice, lol. im just basically looking for if i should just keep the 5.3, or look into another motor. im at 81k miles on it now, and it runs perfect, so a bigger engine sounds good, but if i dont need it, dont want to pay for it.

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
hop on TBSSOwners and pick up a used LS2 cam, springs, lifters and pushrods, then buy a new timing chain and gears, a pair of head gaskets and a water pump gasket......you're done, other than having it tuned and the DOD turned off......plenty of more power for you, and remember the 5.3 rev's higher than the 6.0, you will be very surprised!!

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hop on TBSSOwners and pick up a used LS2 cam, springs, lifters and pushrods, then buy a new timing chain and gears, a pair of head gaskets and a water pump gasket......you're done, other than having it tuned and the DOD turned off......plenty of more power for you, and remember the 5.3 rev's higher than the 6.0, you will be very surprised!!
Thanks, any idea what kind of power that setup makes? im sure depends on the tune as well, but just an idea?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts