Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so just yesterday while sitting at a stop light my engine just shut of on my '06 Envoy.

There was no noise, I didn't feel it shudder, the radio was on and it didn't change at all. I just pressed on the gas pedal and the truck wouldn't move and I noticed the RPM gauge was on 0.

It started back up just fine, but I am just wondering if anyone has an idea as to what happened. It was almost like someone took and turned the key to the off position but it wasn't in the off position.

Thanks! :confused::confused:

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Incorrect... there was a reason it stopped... :D

Could be any number of things, but maybe a fuse or relay connection in the fuse box, or a crank posision sensor connection issue, or something...

Mike

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how may miles? you ever clean your throttle body?

About 38k... No I havn't done any work on the engine myself. I am actually taking it into the dealer on monday since it is still under warenty.

That could be a lot of things. Nothing electrical went funny on ya right before? Was the air on? Do you have an aftermarket amp?
Nothing went funny on me, I didn't even notice until I tried to drive away from the stop light. No extra amps or anything although I was going to put one in this week end and I am not sure if I should wait until this is fixed.

:thx:thx

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
I had the same thing happen, but it was a day that the high was about -15*. I took it to the dealer the next day to check it out as they said it could be a problem in the security system with the key but it turns out it was just the cold.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Just keep an eye on it. It may never happen again, but if it does, suspect the ignition switch. It is easy to fix but hard to diagnose. If your dealer has experience with these trucks, they will know all about the ignition switch issue.

The problem is that if it doesn't occur at the dealership and if there are no codes, they can't do much for you. It will sound irritating, but is true.

I would have a look at your throttle body anyway; even if it is clean, it will give you a good reference for the future. Essentially, GM moved away from problematic EGR valves with this engine, but the tradeoff is that some exhaust gases get channeled back into the intake, and the throttle bodies need cleaning more often than most other vehicles.

As for the cold ... well, I routinely run mine at minus 40 and nothing has ever happened. (Well, the front axle actuator got a bit lazy once and threw a code when it took longer than 8 seconds to engage, but heck, at that temperature, EVERYTHING takes time to 'engage!')

Mind you, in spite of the rumours, it only hits minus 40 once or twice a year here - at minus 40, Celsius is exactly the same as fahrenheit, by the way - although it once got down to minus 50 for a few days. If you want to know what minus 50 feels like, rent the Renée Zelwegger movie "New in Town" and watch the behind-the-scenes documentary. Although you won't see my TB in the background, it did make it through the minus 50 day without a complaint - which is more than I can say for poor Renée and Harry Connick, Jr.)

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
same issue today

was at a light out side temp was 87 and it shut down no bells or lights but it started right back up and still no lights on dash just weird cleaned the throttle body a couple of weeks ago

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Chickenhawk hit the nail on the head. :thumbsup: The ignition switch will give you those symptoms. Over time it will get worse if in fact it is a symptom of degradation.

If it is just a wonky ignition switch then it will happen randomly and will drive you slowly insane. Then you can apply for a Platinum Membership and fit in with the rest of us on the Dark side :excited::crackup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.