Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Envoy SLT AWD 4X4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine stalls and surges when idling with ac or heat on...Any answers to why? Oh and i Cleaned throttle body,new filter,coil packs and plugs...I CANT SEEM TO FIGURE THIS ONE OUT:unsure

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing, and the only thing I replaced was the cam shaft position sensor. It fixed it up and I don’t have the rough idle or stalling anymore

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
You say you cleaned the TB.
Did you disconnect the battery for at least 20-30 min so that learned parameters are erased?

·
Registered
2003 Envoy SLT AWD 4X4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I left it disconnected for about 45 minutes...ARCHABRO a buddy of mine told me it could be the camshaft position actuator solenoid that's what I was gonna try next....is that the same thing you replaced??

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
582 Posts
I'm not ARCHABRO, but no, the camshaft position actuator solenoid is not the same part as the camshaft position sensor. The camshaft position sensor tells the PCM where how far the camshaft has been turned from a predefined position and the camshaft position actuator solenoid is a part that helps turns the camshaft when commanded by the PCM.

·
Registered
2003 Envoy SLT AWD 4X4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok the actuator solenoid..is that the thing below the oil reservoir that's plugged in and sometimes gets covered with oil would that fix my problem replacing it?? Sorry no mechanic here just know the basic simple things about vehicles and what I read in my Haynes lol

·
Registered
582 Posts
OK, the camshaft position actuator sits behind the power steering pump (hence it needs to be loosened up in order to get at the camshaft position actuator), and it is often covered in oil. Replacing it might do the trick, but then again, it might not if the problem is elsewhere, but it won't hurt anything and the oil screens on that critter can get plugged up, so I say go for it. My recommendation is to purchase either an ACDelco, Delphi or Standard Motor Products (TechSmart) branded actuator. They are reasonably priced from Rockauto.com.

No, the actuator solenoid does not read the oil pressure. It runs off the oil pressure, hence the need to perform regular oil and filter changes using a good quality recommended 5w30 oil be it conventional or synthetic or somewhere in between. Not performing regular oil changes can lead to plugged up oil screens in the actuator and can lead to driveability problems.

·
Registered
2003 Envoy SLT AWD 4X4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I replaced the camshaft position sensor and it fixed the stalling problem..not sure if it's a coincidence but the next day my cruise control quit working but I haven't had time to check fuses or anything...any idea?

·
Registered
582 Posts
More than likely a coincidence - unless you broke a wire someplace, but that would likely throw a code.

·
Registered
2003 Envoy SLT AWD 4X4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read afterwards about disconnecting the negative terminal on battery before installing new camshaft sensor....I was rushing and didnt do that before I replaced it...would that hurt anything?

·
Registered
2003 Envoy SLT AWD 4X4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So me replacing camshaft sensor has nothing to do with cruise control not working now? I still have old sensor thought about swapping them out just to see if cruise control would start back working but I wouldn't think so....I've check the 2 under hood fuses and 2 under rear seat and all 4 are still good

·
Registered
582 Posts
The cruise control on these "beasts" is rather complicated as it is computer controlled. The ECM/PCM receives all kinds of data from the accelerator pedal position sensors, the throttle position sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor, etc. Heck it might even take information from the BCM. If all that information is OK and agrees with one another, then the PCM will allow the cruise control to engage.

If you put the old camshaft position back in, I expect your TrailBlazer will begin stalling once again.

Have you scanned for any ODBII codes? If not, that must be the first step in diagnosing what's wrong with the cruise control/

·
Registered
2003 Envoy SLT AWD 4X4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I fixed the cruise I bent the prongs on the new cam sensor took it out bent them back and plugged it up and everythings fine...went to town and got home and it died as I was rolling in driveway....and now itll start then engine will die soon as it starts...now would replacing camshaft position sensor make the crankshaft sensor go bad? Or what's my next choice cause its gotta be related??? And what fuses could make it start but wont stay running?

·
Registered
582 Posts
OK on the cruise control.

Now comes the most important question: What Current and Pending DTCs are picked up when you hook a scanner/code reader up the the OBDII port.

Until you provide that information, I will not speculate what is causing the engine to die.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts