Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Envoy, bought new. Within the first two years, I experienced an engine stall while driving at about 60 mph. Dealership could not find a problem. Have not had problems since, until last night. My son now uses the car and while driving back to school, the engine stalled out at about 70 mph. He was able to get it to the side of the interstate and after about five or so minutes was able to start it back up and proceed. I checked with the dealer again this morning and they still have nothing on this. I've seen several other postings with a similar problem and also note that NHTSA has looked into it. Does anyone have any answers or suggestions on what the problem is? Thanks

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Any clues in the stored code memory? Even transient events, if they're serious enough to stop the engine, should leave clues behind in the code memory.

My first guess would be an intermittent ignition switch, which is a high failure rate item that's very cheap and easy to replace yourself. Run a search here. For the $20-30 it would cost you, it's a good piece of insurance for a 2002. No guarantee at all about the switch, but that kind of failure wouldn't leave a code behind in memory, it usually stumps dealers when it's intermittent, and every other possibility is much less likely statistically.

VERY IMPORTANT: When the engine died, did the headlights go out as well? Instrument lights? Radio? When it failed to restart for your son, what were the conditions? Did the gauges and voltmeter come up with the ignition switch on? Did the engine just fail to turn over or did it turn over but not start? The exact observations he made when it was not starting are a critical clue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Roadie. The GMC dealer was unable to read any codes. My son said when the engine shut off the power left the steering and an ABS lisght and Service Brake System message came on. He's pretty sure the gauges were working and the radio continued to work. When he tried to restart it, it clicked like it would with a dead battery. After a few minutes it started up.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If it was my car I'd just change the ignition switch on general principles, but any one of 100 wires and connectors could cause an unexplained haltage like that if they were intermittent. As is typical, the ultimate root cause can't be discovered unless it fails for good, or you find the intermittent connection by wiggling everything in the vehicle until (and unless) it repeats.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
If it was my car I'd just change the ignition switch ...
Good advice. (I once had "WWRD" tatooed on my butt. Sadly, the only person who could read it was my wife and my doctor ... and my wife was too busy laughing, and my doctor was too busy slipping on the rubber gloves and telling me, "This might feel a BIT uncomfortable.")

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Just wait until you get to be my age, and then when that doctor starts slipping on the rubber glove, you will forget ALL about "insane fanboys from Canada;" trust me.

It's not so much that I was afraid it would hurt as I was more afraid that it wouldn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts