Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Guy's and Gals,

Just recently my lovely TB has started squeeking like there is a squirel in the engine (there isn't, I checked)!!

But, it only happens when you put a bit of stress on the engine, the more stress, the louder it gets, it's a funny sound, it's like a squeek!

Deffinately coming from the engine and it even does it when I'm in 'P' or 'N' and rev her.

Any ideas oh wise ones?

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, there are many threads on under hood squeaks and squeals.

Try the SEARCH function, you will be richly rewarded. :thumbsup:
Hi rayvoy,

Erm....thanks for your 'advise'!

First thing I always do is search the forum, I did this time too, but came up with a blank hence the post!!

Anyone else with any thoughts other than 'do a search'?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It only makes the noise when you give it a bit of pressure, when idling there is no noise at all, soon as you rev it just a tiny bit it squeeks, squeeks, not whines it sounds like a bird. It sounds like it's coming from more the drivers side.

AND...I just read the HUGE thread on idler pully etc.... and it does not sound like the video on there.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,456 Posts
I would say tensioner pulley also but if there is a way to put up a sound clip it would help. Also see if you can use a piece of hose or tubing while someone revs the engine a bit and listen under the hood. But as always be careful.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
Squeek and not squeal. Have someone stand in front of, with the hood open, put the TB in drive, push on the brake, and push the gas pedal down, have them listen and watch. Do not hold the gas down for long! See if one side of the engine moves up or down more than the other side. Could be engine mounts.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,269 Posts
have you tried using a spray bottle?
youll have to have someone rev the engine to get it to squeek...
when its doing so--- spray some water on the pulleys-- one by one- see if that quiets down the noise-

Be careful not to be wearing any ties or similar loose stuff that can get caught in the pulleys/belt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay - so just been down to NAPA and bought the tensioner and idler pully's and the serp belt, figure they will go at some point anywho, so while it's apart, I might as well change em.

Will let you know how I get on, thanks for all the answers everyone.

Interestingly, NAPA could NOT figure out which serp belt is the right one, we could not match the part number on the GM belt or find any reference to it in the owners manual either, it's based on alt amps (apparently), so I got both and will take back the incorrect one.

Okay back tomorrow :0)

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,513 Posts
Chris

Sorry, I jumped to the conclusion that you could find the problem with a search.

The guys have covered most of the problems. It is definitely a belt drive area problem, as it changes with the change in rpm.

Good luck with the parts.

BTW, the pulley (with bearing) is available for the tensioner. You don't need to purchase the complete assembly.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
284 Posts
While your replacing the pully and belt, try to move the fan backwards and forwards. If theres a little movement, your water pump barrings may be going out. From experience, i noticed this by a certain small squeak; As time went on, the sound progressed into a squeal. I hope it is just the tensioner pully Good Luck!:yes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chris

Sorry, I jumped to the conclusion that you could find the problem with a search.

The guys have covered most of the problems. It is definitely a belt drive area problem, as it changes with the change in rpm.

Good luck with the parts.

BTW, the pulley (with bearing) is available for the tensioner. You don't need to purchase the complete assembly.
Hi rayvoy, no worries.

Okay, so I've come on a bit now, it's NOT the tensioner or the idler pullies, I checked these, I did change the serp belt though, as mine had a couple of cracks.

With a bit of looking around and driving, the sound is coming from underneath!!

It only does it when driving forward not reverse, and only when you touch the gas.

So while you accelerate it does it, soon as you come off the gas and coast it stops.

It squeeks at all speeds when you touch the gas peddle.

It is NOT coming from the engine 100%.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi rayvoy, no worries.

Okay, so I've come on a bit now, it's NOT the tensioner or the idler pullies, I checked these, I did change the serp belt though, as mine had a couple of cracks.

With a bit of looking around and driving, the sound is coming from underneath!!

It only does it when driving forward not reverse, and only when you touch the gas.

So while you accelerate it does it, soon as you come off the gas and coast it stops.

It squeeks at all speeds when you touch the gas peddle.

It is NOT coming from the engine 100%.
BINGO.......just come from garage, it's the u joint in the prop, who would have thought!!?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The U-Joints (both ends of the prop) have been replaced, interestingly 2 of the 4 yolks were seized solid.

Replaced, and now no squeaks - now as soon as you put it in 'D' it moves forward without any judder and without any resistance at all, that's got to give me better gas milage too I guess?

THANK YOU everyone with their suggestions, I appreciate it.:thumbsup:

Total Job $197 Canadian (would have been cheaper but they needed to use a bit of oxy/gas to free it off (apparently))!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.