Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, its been about three years that i have been dealing with this engine sputtering and missing at random times and i am stumped by what it is.

It all started when i made a turn to go up a hill and stepped on the gas and suddenly it seemed that a cylinder or two cut out for a few seconds. Once the rpms reached about 2000 it cleared up. It would do this from time to time. Then it seemed to pass on to if i was at a dead stop and go it would do the same. Recently is has acquired a miss at idle usually cold and the progressed to doing it even warm or cool. Now that it is summer and have been using the A/C it will do a random miss for a split second especially at idle and pulling out. Also it has been missing/sputtering while driving about 35 lightly on the gas even without the air on. It has never thrown a code due to this misfire/sputter problem. I had just recently ran seafoam through it thinking it was a dirty part in the engine. Seems the same.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about this ongoing problem? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i have cleaned the throttle body about 3000 miles ago. I took it off and it wasnt too bad. It is not a constant thing usually everyday but more when the humidity is high. It tends to stumble when under load at a low rpm.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
how many miles are on it? Any past maintenance done to it? I'm assuming no SES light, but there may be pending codes stored. Depending on how many miles you have, you may just need a simple tune-up to cure your problem. It can be anything simple such as spark plugs or even an o2 sensor..

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did change the plugs several time and fond the delco iridium plugs were the best. I had just ordered an 02 sensor to start somewhere. It has been fully tuned up and all maintenance is up to date.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Good start i guess...also, might want to look into changing the fuel filter. I had a galant a while back that would barely move from a stop. I had to hit the gas about half way to get enough pressure from the fuel pump to get fuel through the lines. The filter was clogged and when i changed it, it made a huge difference..then again, it did have over 220k miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Skibum let me know if you figure out what is causing the problem with yours. My wife's tb is an 03 and only has 74,000 miles on it. When you first start it of a morning it spits and sputters like hell for about 30 seconds then clears up and runs fine the rest of the day. Let it sit all night and when it is started in the morning it does it all over again. Replaced the fuel filter last week thinking that may be the problem but no luck. Really getting aggravated. This truck has been nickel and diming me to death lately. Replaced fan clutch last week, oh yeah did I mention it only has 74,000 miles, LOL. Never in my life seen a fan clutch go so soon. Anyway enough complainin from me.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
93 Posts
I have a 2002 tb ls and it just started sputtering while I was backing up into my driveway and I thought that was odd and it did it again the next day but much worse and the check engine light came on and I thought maybe it was the cadaledic converter because it got real loud when stepping on the gas but then it went away but still sputtered so my next thought was the air intake controller or the o2 sensor. There hasn't been any work done to it at all recently that would cause such a problem. The only thing that was done was when I put a fuel injector cleaner solvent in my gas tank about 2 tanks ago. My car was on fumes when it was added then I filled up right after. Anyone have any ideas about what the sputtering could be caused from?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...Anyone have any ideas about what the sputtering could be caused from?
Your vehicle is trying to tell you what's wrong by lighting up the SES indicator. Get the code read. Anything else is pure guessing and will cost you money for no purpose.

Also, for a troubleshooting post, we need the mileage, and any other maintenance history. Especially are you current on plugs which should have been changed every 100K?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had my code red and they told me it was due to spark plugs misfiring. I changed all 6 plugs and had the ses light reset but its gotten even worse now with the new plugs. I installed the ac delco iridium plugs. What else would cause the car to sputter? I'm really starting to worry about driving it like that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
They did NOT give me any code number. I was annoyed the guy gave me the run around when I asked him for the actual code number.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Sputter Maddness

My truck sputters once it warms up. I changed fuel filter plugs coil packs never showed a code or engine light. Its driving me nuts!!! Even went to a pro and did a smoke test and still nothing
Ready to drive it off cliff

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
13 Posts
Studdering at highway speeds

I am having similar problems. The problem with my 2005 Trailblazer baffles me. The engine idles smoothly, and runs fine when I get into the gas going up hills or starting off. When I am just at cruise speed, the engine has a stutter to it sometimes. I can get into the gas and it will quit. Let off, and it will do it again fairly quickly. I have changed all the spark plugs a couple weeks ago and it didn't help anything. Worst of all, there is no check engine light to give me any assistance. I had a check engine light on a few weeks ago for bank 1 oxygen sensor. A friend of mine told me to unplug the sensor, clean the connections, then put it back together. He had the same problem. I did as directed and did not clear the code to make the light go off. Within a short time, the light went off and hasn't come back on. I have a simple Actron OBDII tester and it shows no codes. Can anyone give me any insight as to where to look next. I can do pretty much anything I want to older cars, but these new computerized cars rattle my brain. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
sputtering engine

I had replaced my tranny then the sputtering engine started but I thought it couldn't be that so I tried everything you mentioned and more but low and behold it was the tranny, had to replace!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts