Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, ive got a problem. When my engine heats up, my oil level starts to drop while I idle. If I use my AC it drops even faster. What should i do I have a gmc 2007 envoy.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
510 Posts
Your oil level drops, or do you mean that the oil pressure gauge in the instrument cluster indicates a lower oil pressure at idle after your engine heats up, or when the AC is turned on?

2 Very different things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil pressure gauge drops, sorry for not clarifying that
Your oil level drops, or do you mean that the oil pressure gauge in the instrument cluster indicates a lower oil pressure at idle after your engine heats up, or when the AC is turned on?

2 Very different things.

My oil gauge drops. Sorry for not clarifying that

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
510 Posts
To know what is definitely is going on you'll need to hook a mechanical oil pressure gauge up to the engine to see what the oil pressure is actually doing. If you are willing to take a chance, change the oil pressure sending unit/switch to see if it is bad. If you change it and the gauge stays stable, then you'll know it was more than likely just a bad sending unit. They do go bad.

If after changing the oil pressure sending unit, the gauge behaves the same way, you could be looking at a serious mechanical problem inside the engine.

Have you checked the oil level with the dipstick to make sure it's full of oil?

One last thing, it could be that the stepper motor controlling the instrument panel oil gauge is going bad.

You need to check out all of these possibilities.

Good luck!

Reactions: dgreene166

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To know what is definitely is going on you'll need to hook a mechanical oil pressure gauge up to the engine to see what the oil pressure is actually doing. If you are willing to take a chance, change the oil pressure sending unit/switch to see if it is bad. If you change it and the gauge stays stable, then you'll know it was more than likely just a bad sending unit. They do go bad.

If after changing the oil pressure sending unit, the gauge behaves the same way, you could be looking at a serious mechanical problem inside the engine.

Have you checked the oil level with the dipstick to make sure it's full of oil?

One last thing, it could be that the stepper motor controlling the instrument panel oil gauge is going bad.

You need to check out all of these possibilities.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice brother

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do regularly check the oil with a dipstick but no significant or rapid drops, the loss of oil in the engine is gradual. A mechanic made me change the cam sensor a few weeks back. He also Suggested i change my aircon compressor but im still getting some other opinions

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
522 Posts
mechanic made me change the cam sensor a few weeks back.
Poor oil pressure can affect the operation of the cam phaser making it look like the phaser or the cam sensor is bad. The cam phaser works on oil pressure from the engine so it follows that if the pressure is poor, the cam phaser operation will suffer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The first thing you can do is pull the connector for the oil pressure sensor and make sure the is no oil on the connection. The sensor can fail and leak oil. If its clean do as the other gentlemen said and get a mechanical pressure gauge on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts