Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too concerned about this right now - just wanted some input.

'02 Envoy, 125k miles. I'm due for another oil change. I've done the last three oil changes, switching it to high-mileage synthetic. 10w/30 on the first two and 5w/30 on the last one. I haven't been under the vehicle since the last one, so I can't tell you if it has been leaking ever-so-slightly since the oil change or if it is very recent, but lately the vehicle has left a few drops of engine oil with condensation from the A/C on the ground (which is why I haven't caught it til now).

Doing some investigation, I looked under the vehicle. The vehicle has a thin layer of oil coating it all the way to the rear wheels. The vehicle isn't dripping anywhere - it's just coated. Checked the engine out - oil is only covering the bottom bit and the oil-pan valve is tight. Mystery.

My thinking is that doing the thinner oil might have had something to do with this. Since I'm due for an oil change, I'll switch back to 10w/30 and see if the leaking continues. Also, something that might be coincident, but the vehicle was run hard a week ago (heavy loads), so that also might have something to do with it.

I'm not awfully worried about it right now - the oil pressure, level, and engine performance seem normal. I haven't smelled any burning oil (though, for the longest time after the oil change there was a slight hint of it), nor seen any burning oil.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Hi,
I had oil covering the rear of the engine and the gearbox. It appeared that it was the front differencial driverside oil seal.

My advice is to wash it and let it dry. Drive hard for ten minutes and check for leaks. You'll be able to see oil tears coming out from the damaged area.

I used another way to discover oil leaks. You might laugh at it but it was a success.

Spray Jonson powder (baby powder) on the ereas suspected for leak. drive hard for ten minutes. Stop the truck. Check and see with your own eyes oil soaking the baby powder.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I had oil covering the rear of the engine and the gearbox. It appeared that it was the front differencial driverside oil seal.

My advice is to wash it and let it dry. Drive hard for ten minutes and check for leaks. You'll be able to see oil tears coming out from the damaged area.

I used another way to discover oil leaks. You might laugh at it but it was a success.

Spray Jonson powder (baby powder) on the ereas suspected for leak. drive hard for ten minutes. Stop the truck. Check and see with your own eyes oil soaking the baby powder.:)
Well, the only things up front that could leak oil is the engine or transmission. The oil is definitely from the engine, but I can't quite tell where, so the baby-oil idea won't work.

I'll probably give the truck a good cleaning when I change the oil (and do a tire rotation) and see if it leaks again.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
Double check and make sure that the oil filter gasket from the last oil filter didnt get inadvertently left onto the oil filter housing on the block.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Double check and make sure that the oil filter gasket from the last oil filter didnt get inadvertently left onto the oil filter housing on the block.
Sounds like a good idea. I don't believe the last one did leave a gasket, but you never know.

The engine seems to have stopped leaking oil, but I may be speaking too soon. When I crawl down there to change the oil, I'll clean up the oil-covered areas. When I drive around to get the oils flowing again, I'll check to see if there is any leakage.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, it isn't the oil filter. I looked at the oil filter and it had not a drop of oil anywhere near it. The oil is just on the bottom side of the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts